What Kind Of Wire Do I Need?

Decorating By dcabrera Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 5:59am by calivettie

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:53am
post #1 of 11

I'm looking for a wire that will hold the weight of a ball or star, but flexible at the same time. I bought a white floral wire to attach mini RI stars and the wire folded over. It was a joke. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

10 replies
Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:09am
post #2 of 11

Try using 22 or 24 gauge wire.

coolchc21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolchc21 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:11am
post #3 of 11

I've done a couple of cakes with wiring. I've always used 18 gauge with no problems.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 11

the heavier the object, the thicker the wire needs to be. i used 24 for my stars.

dcabrera Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 5:55am
post #5 of 11

Ok, I wasn't sure if it was the heavier the object the smaller the gauge or vice versa. I can buy them at Michaels right? icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 11

this always confuses me - im pretty sure its lower the number, the wider the wire. (in the uk, so not sure about that store - but it seems they sell most things!)
xx

dcabrera Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 11

Oh no. I'm still confused.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:46am
post #8 of 11

The smaller the gauge number the thicker the wire. I also just tried this with bad results. I purchased thick enough wire I think but couldn't figure out how to get them into the cake where they would stand up. They kept tipping over and ripping out of the cake. I'll be following this thread to see what everyone has to say.

Panacaboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panacaboy Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:54am
post #9 of 11

When I did my son's airplane cake I stuck a piece of pvc pipe down the center of the cake, iced over it, and then stuck the wires in the pvc. It worked great! No problems with wires tipping over or ripping out of the cake. You might also be able to use a heavy-duty straw if you only have one wire. Good luck!

Just realized I am logged in under my husband's account - you can see my airplane cake in my photos under bethhansen. icon_redface.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:18pm
post #10 of 11

Beth is the wire in the cake running the entire length of the cake ? My question I guess is when you do this, how much wire actually goes into the cake or the support straw? Did you put anything in the PVC pipe other than basic frosting to hold the wires?

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 5:59am
post #11 of 11

I put the wire in buttercream cakes, so I definitely need the support of a coffee stirrer. What I do is melt some chocolate and add the wire/s in to secure it and then stick the straw in the cake. This way I have no problems with tearing or moving around of a hollow straw!

Hope this helps!

Vettie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%