Servings 5" Tall Cake!!

Decorating By turnerdmann Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 1:04pm by turnerdmann

turnerdmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turnerdmann Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:15am
post #1 of 8

A bride I met with last night wants a four tier cake- each tier 5" high. I am not sure how to calculate the number of servings. Surly it will serve more than a 4" tier, yes???? Thanks for any help. icon_smile.gif

Darlene

7 replies
mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:19am
post #2 of 8

it's totally up to you, here. you can let it slide or you can add an additional 1/4 to the price per serving (regular 4" plus 1/4 of your per serving price to accomodate for the extra inch)

i do this all the time, when it enhances a design...i get my money back in other places.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:28am
post #3 of 8

You cut by the footprint, height makes no difference.

My last cake I ended up with 5" teirs. I made 2 x 2" cakes. torted and filled they were 5" tall...

Megalish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megalish Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:37am
post #4 of 8

I get 5" tall cakes all the time after torting each 2" layer. Total 3 layers filling. I always charge as if each tier is 4". I've been trying to decide if I should't torte each 2" layer. Maybe just use one layer of filling between the 2-two" layers. That way maybe I'd get a true 4" tier. (And use less filling). Just haven't decided if I would like cutting into a cake with only one layer of filling in each tier.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:55am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDGirlie

You cut by the footprint, height makes no difference.

Exactly. They will get more cake per piece, because it's taller, but the only way to get more pieces is to cut them thinner ... and I don't think you want to do that.

mixinvixen gave excellent advice on how to price it.

turnerdmann Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:03am
post #6 of 8

Thanks everyone. She wanted it taller, I talked her into 5" because I thought 6" would be so tall overall. Was I wrong? Have any of you done a four tier 6" layer cake?

Thanks again I always know I can count on ya'll

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:55am
post #7 of 8

leahs usually points this out, but most dessert plates are 6" or 7", so a 6" piece of cake will barely fit on the plate. Overhanging cake is not attractive.

turnerdmann Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:04pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks again, Indydebi. I try to think of all aspects but tend to get tunnel vision. Ya'll always help with the overview. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%