Purse Cake

Decorating By paulstonia Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 9:11pm by CakesByLJ

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 14

Hello everyone. I have a purse cake to do for a friend next week and was hoping for some helpful hints from those of you who have made one. It is going to be a tall bag, not the one shaped like a saddle bag. What I'm most concerned about is keeping it from tipping over. Thanks in advance for all your help...........Tonia

13 replies
Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 14

Have you seen this instructions? they are posted here in CC
http://cakecentral.com/article64-How-To-Make-a-Purse-Cake.html

paulstonia Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks, yes I've have read through them. I wanted to make mine a little different, kind of like the open diaper bags. I've seen some of the purses on here made that way too. It's one of the larger coach bags I would like to make.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 14

Wouldn't it be easier to have the purse laying on it's side? That would make transporting it easier. I've made a couple diaper bag cakes, and a purse cake (in my gallery) all are laying down. No worries. icon_lol.gif

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 14

If you've found a pic on here that you like, you could pm the person to get insturctions. HTH

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 14

I'm not sure there's anything in it to help you in this particular project, but the tutorial for my diaper bag cake is here:
http://www.cakedalaska.com/Caked_Alaska/Welcoming_William.html

Deanna

paulstonia Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 14

Ok, I'm giving myself a bump. Thanks to all who have replied, but the cake I'm doing is taller and open at the top, I guess more like a shopping bag. Any help out there for the tipping issue?

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:38pm
post #8 of 14

Check out Colette Peter's book COLETTE'S BIRTHDAY CAKES. She did a purse that seems more in the direction you're going, I think.

Paul (& Peter)

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:43am
post #9 of 14

are you interested in something like the purse cake in my photos?? i can help u out if u are!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 5:16am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstonia

Hello everyone. I have a purse cake to do for a friend next week and was hoping for some helpful hints from those of you who have made one. It is going to be a tall bag, not the one shaped like a saddle bag. What I'm most concerned about is keeping it from tipping over. Thanks in advance for all your help...........Tonia

Hi Tonia, I just did a tall gift bag; it's in my photos.. I used two dowels and drove them into all layers and into the foamboard. I transported it across town, and it held up very well.... the bag itself was over 8" tall and only 4" wide....

paulstonia Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 6:03pm
post #11 of 14

CakesByLJ that's exactly what I was talking about. So you just used foamboard as the cake board and drove the dowels right into it? Thanks for responding. I think I was with everyone else reading the big mystery going on in that OTHER thread and didn't know if anyone would read this oneicon_smile.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 6:17pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstonia

CakesByLJ that's exactly what I was talking about. So you just used foamboard as the cake board and drove the dowels right into it? Thanks for responding. I think I was with everyone else reading the big mystery going on in that OTHER thread and didn't know if anyone would read this oneicon_smile.gif

Yep, that's it... hammer them right into the foamboard... icon_biggrin.gif

paulstonia Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:05pm
post #13 of 14

Finished my cake, thanks everyone for the help.
LL

CakesByLJ Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:11pm
post #14 of 14

Fantastic job! Love all the details... such a realistic looking purse... Love it! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%