Purse Cake

Decorating By paulstonia Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 9:11pm by CakesByLJ

paulstonia Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 14

Hello everyone. I have a purse cake to do for a friend next week and was hoping for some helpful hints from those of you who have made one. It is going to be a tall bag, not the one shaped like a saddle bag. What I'm most concerned about is keeping it from tipping over. Thanks in advance for all your help...........Tonia

13 replies
Rosie2 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 14

Have you seen this instructions? they are posted here in CC
http://cakecentral.com/article64-How-To-Make-a-Purse-Cake.html

paulstonia Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks, yes I've have read through them. I wanted to make mine a little different, kind of like the open diaper bags. I've seen some of the purses on here made that way too. It's one of the larger coach bags I would like to make.

Jocmom Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 14

Wouldn't it be easier to have the purse laying on it's side? That would make transporting it easier. I've made a couple diaper bag cakes, and a purse cake (in my gallery) all are laying down. No worries. icon_lol.gif

soccermom17 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 14

If you've found a pic on here that you like, you could pm the person to get insturctions. HTH

TooMuchCake Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 14

I'm not sure there's anything in it to help you in this particular project, but the tutorial for my diaper bag cake is here:
http://www.cakedalaska.com/Caked_Alaska/Welcoming_William.html

Deanna

paulstonia Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 14

Ok, I'm giving myself a bump. Thanks to all who have replied, but the cake I'm doing is taller and open at the top, I guess more like a shopping bag. Any help out there for the tipping issue?

Sweet_Guys Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:38pm
post #8 of 14

Check out Colette Peter's book COLETTE'S BIRTHDAY CAKES. She did a purse that seems more in the direction you're going, I think.

Paul (& Peter)

doublecz1103 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:43am
post #9 of 14

are you interested in something like the purse cake in my photos?? i can help u out if u are!

CakesByLJ Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 5:16am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstonia

Hello everyone. I have a purse cake to do for a friend next week and was hoping for some helpful hints from those of you who have made one. It is going to be a tall bag, not the one shaped like a saddle bag. What I'm most concerned about is keeping it from tipping over. Thanks in advance for all your help...........Tonia

Hi Tonia, I just did a tall gift bag; it's in my photos.. I used two dowels and drove them into all layers and into the foamboard. I transported it across town, and it held up very well.... the bag itself was over 8" tall and only 4" wide....

paulstonia Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 6:03pm
post #11 of 14

CakesByLJ that's exactly what I was talking about. So you just used foamboard as the cake board and drove the dowels right into it? Thanks for responding. I think I was with everyone else reading the big mystery going on in that OTHER thread and didn't know if anyone would read this oneicon_smile.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 6:17pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstonia

CakesByLJ that's exactly what I was talking about. So you just used foamboard as the cake board and drove the dowels right into it? Thanks for responding. I think I was with everyone else reading the big mystery going on in that OTHER thread and didn't know if anyone would read this oneicon_smile.gif

Yep, that's it... hammer them right into the foamboard... icon_biggrin.gif

paulstonia Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:05pm
post #13 of 14

Finished my cake, thanks everyone for the help.
LL

CakesByLJ Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:11pm
post #14 of 14

Fantastic job! Love all the details... such a realistic looking purse... Love it! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%