Officially Embarassed

Lounge By ktbug103 Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 11:49pm by Heath

ktbug103 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 2203

Okay - this isn't a mistake I made directly (I didn't make the cake, I haven't started taking decorating lessons yet... still fighting the urge) but indirectly by not researching the baker/decorator I bought it from.

I found the lady and her "business" through the yellow pages. My daughters party was in a town about 40 miles away so I didn't know of any local bakeries first hand. She had a website... Her cakes looked great. Her prices were also low, a little more than what you would pay for on a website. I attributed the low prices to the area, it's pretty typical around here. The bakery was in her home but she had the website and the yellow page listing so I ASSUMED she was licensed. Big mistake on my part. I'm not sure how I could be so dumb. She asked for half the payment up front but I don't think that's an unusual request.

I go to pick up my daughters cake and cupcakes today (1/4 inch sheet cake and a dozen cupcakes shaped like teacups). They were pretty, the lady is a good decorator. The house was the problem. I could smell it before I ever walked in the door. On the outside it was fine. The inside... She had three cats and one dog that I could see. Pets are fine if you clean up after them. She had pet hair everywhere, the house stunk and the kitchen was even worse. She had dirt/grease smeared on the microwave, the stove and the fridge was dirty on the outside. The sink had a small constant flow of water coming from it the drip was so bad... Cabinets falling down. I could understand if the place was just beat up, it could still be clean. But this place was filthy. She then proceeded to give me my cakes in gift boxes like you buy at Walmart. Not even a cake board underneath. As carefully as I tried to hold the boxes (even carefully, one at a time) the both collapsed in since they had no support on the bottom. I didn't really care though - I knew they would be going into the trash as soon as I found a trash can.

I paid her the rest of the money I owed her. I didn't want to hurt her feelings about her home. I did however call the county Health Dept and turn her in. She advertises for wedding cakes and everything... I couldn't imagine spending $500 or more dollars and not being able to eat the cake. I was was only out $50 and still had time to order a new cake and cupcakes for my daughter. As much as I hate grocery store cakes... I will be pretty happy to get one tomorrow lol

Sorry for the novel. I just wanted to share my stupidity with someone. I think I'm going to sign up for cake decorating lessons Monday!

2,202 replies
teswade Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:16am
post #2 of 2203

I am glad you reported her. If her kitchen is not clean you have no idea what kind of bacteria could be on the stuff she used for the cake. You can't take a chance wtih unclean stuff around children. If any of the children got sick, you could have been resposible. I think you did a great thing. Sorry you are out 50 buck though.

teswade Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:16am
post #3 of 2203

I am glad you reported her. If her kitchen is not clean you have no idea what kind of bacteria could be on the stuff she used for the cake. You can't take a chance wtih unclean stuff around children. If any of the children got sick, you could have been resposible. I think you did a great thing. Sorry you are out 50 buck though.

4kids Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:30am
post #4 of 2203

I wouldn't have hesitated to report her either. You could have made your daughter and all the other guests very sick if she isn't baking in a healthy manner. I sometimes think the laws are a bit strict in our area, but all of the laws are there for our protection and need to be followed. It's one thing to make a cake for a friend, and another to sell your cakes for $500 and not have the proper procedures in place to safeguard anyone against getting sick.

eldag0615 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:31am
post #5 of 2203

Wow!, I am speechless, good thing she let you into her home. One question: When you ordered the cake and paid the deposit, was it at the same home? Was it this dirty?

ktbug103 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:22am
post #6 of 2203

When I paid the deposit I did it through mail since she lived such a distance away. I should have known to at least check the place out before I put a deposit down. Hopefully my ordeal will cause her website and yellow page listings removed at least. Maybe I did save someone from having a terrible wedding cake experience. I know she has done wedding cakes in the past and I COULD NOT imagine.

indydebi Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:54am
post #7 of 2203

I would not turn someone in "just because", but you had a legit reason to shut this down. It's the ones like this that make it difficult for those who do bake at home and who are trying to convince their lawmakers to make it legal for them. This dirty person is who those lawmakers think of when they contemplate the issue.

I'm happy to hear you made that call.

jammjenks Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:28am
post #8 of 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I would not turn someone in "just because", but you had a legit reason to shut this down. It's the ones like this that make it difficult for those who do bake at home and who are trying to convince their lawmakers to make it legal for them. This dirty person is who those lawmakers think of when they contemplate the issue.

I'm happy to hear you made that call.




so true...so true... <shakes head in disgust>

summernoelle Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 8:54pm
post #9 of 2203

You were right to call it in, but I feel a little bad for her. If her house is that bad, then what else is going on in her life? Cabinets falling...animal odor...sounds pretty bad. I wonder if she is just super depressed, or so poor that she can't make her bills...although being poor doesn't excuse your house being dirty. Soap doesn't cost anything. Cleaning is mostly just elbow grease...

michellenj Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 9:15pm
post #10 of 2203

You know what? I bet she HAD cleaned, and it's usually worse. You did the right thing. Don't feel bad about it.

Kitagrl Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 2203

Wow that's awful.

I work from home (licensed and insured) and its too bad people like this might make others think twice before ordering from someone like me! (And I do ask for half payment down, for party cakes, also).

I can't believe she let you in....but I guess that's a good thing! I'm sorry that a talented person had to be turned in...but I understand, definitely, why....that's so yuck.

cakelurker Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 9:50pm
post #12 of 2203

I noticed that you left out the fact that you opened the box while standing outside to show to your mom. Something you could not have done if the cake had not been boxed up properly. She uses the standard cake boxes that your grocery store cake came in. Your Mother stayed in the car to smoke a stinking cigerette with the ashes so long they could have fallen off at any moment.

You mention her refrigerator, which was not in the kitchen at all. You never saw it.

You've exaggerated in facts...if there were any facts in here at all.

I know exactly who you're talking about. This person you're talking about is a friend. I've ordered cakes from her. Her cakes are always well done and presented nicely. Alot of our friends have ordered cakes from her. You're the only person I've ever heard complain. And this is done without even tasting it.

Her house is not dirty. Yes, the kitchen might need a make over, but it's not dirty and there is no grease anywhere. You're judging by looks and looks alone. A leaky faucet and cabinets in need of replacing, not dirt or grease as you claim.

It sounds like someone ticked you off and this is where you decided to unleash your anger. You could have possibly ruined someone's business because of being judgemental on looks.

As for your noters. Most of you are home bakers. How would you like it if this little girl left this about you? You're getting a one sided story and beating up the person she decided to take out her anger on.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:10pm
post #13 of 2203

I'm not commenting on the controversy because I don't know what to say.

So but I did want to say that being licensed has nothing whatever to do with being clean. I have worked at too many licensed places to possibly even consider a licence or even regular health inspections with being clean.

MadeYaLook Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:23pm
post #14 of 2203

I bet this gets interesting.

__Jamie__ Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:24pm
post #15 of 2203

(cue soap opera music) And theeese are the days of our cakes.....

Well, I'm betting this thread won't last another 30 minutes.

doughdough Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:25pm
post #16 of 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyhasselgren

I bet this gets interesting.




I'm popping some popcorn as we speak for this one! icon_wink.gif

m1m Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:26pm
post #17 of 2203

Whoa!

(Said like Joey Lawrence)

MadeYaLook Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:28pm
post #18 of 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1m

Whoa!

(Said like Joey Lawrence)


That was my original thought too.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:30pm
post #19 of 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug103

...I found the lady and her "business" through the yellow pages. My daughters party was in a town about 40 miles away so I didn't know of any local bakeries first hand. ...

I go to pick up my daughters cake and cupcakes today (1/4 inch sheet cake and a dozen cupcakes shaped like teacups). They were pretty, the lady is a good decorator. ...

I paid her the rest of the money I owed her. I didn't want to hurt her feelings about her home. I did however call the county Health Dept and turn her in. ...

I was was only out $50 and still had time to order a new cake and cupcakes for my daughter. As much as I hate grocery store cakes... I will be pretty happy to get one tomorrow lol




I do have a question though. You say the party was being held 40 miles away so that's why you got a cake there 40 miles away. Then you drive all the way back home so you can drive another 80 mile round trip the next day for the party. That part I'm not getting the logic.

But what I'm doing is checking my understanding of what happened. I'm asking how that came about like that?

You wanted to order the cake close to where the party was being held but drove double duty and had time to not only pick up a different cake but you say you ordered it.

So I'm just wondering why you did all the extra driving.

Just a pure question--no disrespect or anything. Just curious all things considered.

And my other question is which tree was cakelurker hiding out in to take in all those details. I mean what shade nail polish did her Mom have on? Again no disrespect in the slightest. I'm just saying you must be a close neighbor or have a telescope or something. I am purely curious, no disrespect at all. I'm not questioning your truthfulness in the slightest. I'm marveling at the fortunate nature of you being there & posting here.

I do have one other thing to say--it would seem at first blush that this cake lady is the last person that needed to be turned in if her little house needs that much repair. And that there is another side emerging to the cleanliness story.

Just saying.

cocorum21 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:37pm
post #20 of 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I'm not commenting on the controversy because I don't know what to say.

So but I did want to say that being licensed has nothing whatever to do with being clean. I have worked at too many licensed places to possibly even consider a licence or even regular health inspections with being clean.




This is true I rented a commercial kitchen from a cafe and let me tell you, it was f#$%ing gross. But I passed my inspection to get my license from that kitchen icon_confused.gif

Not saying that this person's kitchen was dirty I don't want to get into this mess but yeah licensed doesn't mean clean.

I do feel bad for her though.

weirkd Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:38pm
post #21 of 2203

Wow. This could get ugly! Ive seen some kitchens that are like this, my brother and sister inlaws for one. They dont sell cakes or anything but they have a disasterous kitchen and dishes, laundry and garbage everywhere. Personally, I couldnt live like that. I know with animals, no matter how much you clean, there is times that their going to either get sick or something to that nature. Its hard to control. And if you have a ton of them, even worse. My brothers house always smelled back and it was because they had a ton of animals (they owned a petstore and seemed to take more of them home). So their carpets would take the odor in. They finally got the money to redo their floors and the smell went with it. Basically because no matter how much you shampoo them, their still going to smell with that many animals.
Im in no way defending the baker or the person that ordered. Just stating a fact. I will also state that in order to be licensed, they are not allowed to have animals in the location the baking is being done. I also know that just because someone IS licensed doesnt mean that their necessarily clean either. You see horror stories all the time on tv with the news capturing dirty restuarants that have rats and bug infestations and other health code violations. Most of them are not shut down either. (Recall a lady getting a fried mouse in her order at McDonalds I think it was, my husband had rat poop on his burger, and I will stop because Im grossing myself out).
I think the best thing was done if she was indeed that bad. But unless a messy housekeeper doesnt necessarily mean that she is an unclean cook. And thats my two cents! (more like a quarter, I like to talk!!!lol)

lolobell Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:40pm
post #22 of 2203

let's simmer!

1. I don't know either party sooo with that said, I'm not thinking that someone would turn in another without just cause. hopefully anyway.

2. everyone has there own idea of "clean" and "perfect" and "suitable"....yes, without question when working with food for the public or yourself for that matter, being clean is just being smart. I, myself demand a clean kitchen and if I was purchasing a food item from a home baker, would demand the same thing. I probably would have met her in the establishment first. Sight unseen is never a good idea.

3. It's out of your hands now so let the authorities decide what needs to be done from here.

I'm sorry for the lady too (sorry, but I am)..she is just trying to pay the bills like everyone else. BUT, she does need to follow the same rules everyone else does. icon_wink.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:42pm
post #23 of 2203

I would love to see the PM's that are flying back and forth between those two right about now...lol.

m1m Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:52pm
post #24 of 2203

I'm wondering if the post is "genuine"? Both the original poster and "cakelurker" have no profiles, pics, etc. and both are newbies.

Neither has posted a reply.

Just a question.

Ayanami Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:53pm
post #25 of 2203

I too would love to know about Cakelurker's relation to this situation. Are you a neighbor, friend, relative? Just curious. I have been the subject of overly exaggerated false negative ...advertisement? ... & I can tell you that it's hard to deffend yourself after it's already been started. K8Memphis had some very good points too about the logic of the OP sequence of events. All that driving time and such. icon_confused.gif Seems to me that more happened than we're being told.

There are 3 sides to every story, His Hers & the Truth. (or hers hers in this case)

ziggytarheel Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:54pm
post #26 of 2203

Hmm. I didn't see anything identifying in the OP's post. No city, no names. Strange how this stuff works.

laurenshelton Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:55pm
post #27 of 2203

Those are both very elaborate "sides" of the story, I'd be surprised if it really were fabricated.

BUT, I would like to hear the rest..... =)

Deb_ Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:55pm
post #28 of 2203

To the OP, I'm curious about why you wouldn't have just walked out if it were as bad as you say. I mean maybe say something like "gee, cakelady, I'm pretty uncomfortable serving any cake that came out of this kitchen, please keep my deposit I won't be needing that cake".

I think there's a lot more than meets the eye going on between these 2.....and I think that cakelurker is the person that made the cake, which explains why she knows so much.


This is like a game of CLUE..........pass the popcorn please. icon_lol.gif

Ayanami Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:57pm
post #29 of 2203

m1m said:

Quote:
Quote:

I'm wondering if the post is "genuine"? Both the original poster and "cakelurker" have no profiles, pics, etc. and both are newbies.

Neither has posted a reply.




good point! I noticed the OP has beena member since 2007 but has only 2 posts! icon_confused.gif weird anyone icon_confused.gif

I can understand Cakelurker though. She (he?) coud have been tipped off by someone who saw this thread & the only way hey could defed their friend was to register on the site. That would of course make them a Newbie & they would have no real reason to create a profile.

The OP though. icon_confused.gif Questionable.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 11:02pm
post #30 of 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

...
This is like a game of CLUE..........pass the popcorn please. icon_lol.gif




Here's some pretzels, couldn't find any popcorn.

\\ll///lll\\\\\\l/ll/l\\\\lll///
lll\\\\\\l/ll/l\\\\lll///
.../lll\\\\\\l/ll/l\\\\lll///
lll\\\\\\l/ll/l\\\\lll///

To OP & CL--For crying out loud--Say something!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%