Gift Box Cake -- How Do I.......

Decorating By poochynooch Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 5:10pm by poochynooch

poochynooch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poochynooch Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 15

Id like to make a gift box cake for a friends mom's 90th bday. Ive looked at all the great pics in the gallery and have got some great ideas. One thing that is not addressed is the Lid. Is the lid make from cake? Is it styrofoam or rice krispies? And what is supporting it to make it look like the lid is open???? If there's anyone out there with the answers - would love to hear from you. Thanks.

14 replies
butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 15

You can use cake for the lid or just fondant covered box lid whate ever you want to do. I have one in my pics with a baby popping out. For an open lid I would recommend a wedge of styro. Hope this helps, more questions just pm me and I'll help where I can... Good luck.. (You can also make the lid by forming fondant around your cake pan and cutting it off and then using the wedge. Really up to you..

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 15

I used RKT on a cardboard cake board for the lid of my treasure chest. However, since the lid to a gift box is flat, I would just stick with styro.

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks for asking that question, I always wondered how they did that!

klutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klutz Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 15

I've done several boxes, and don't know if my method is right, but it works for me. I just put 4 strips of fondant around the top edge of the cake, on top of the main fondant covering, to be the sides of the lid. then, I cut a square top out and put it on top. voila! box lid.

I've only done one opened lid, with dried fondant, then covered some dowels with matching fondant to use as the "brackets", like an old toy chest has, with the metal pieces that fold in & out to keep the lid from falling on your fingers. I pushed the dowels into the cake, then attached to the lid with royal.

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 15

Klutz I would love to see a pic of the open box if you have one. Trying to visualize what you mean about the brackets but I am better with a photo icon_redface.gif Thanks!

klutz Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffla

Klutz I would love to see a pic of the open box if you have one. Trying to visualize what you mean about the brackets but I am better with a photo icon_redface.gif Thanks!

i'll see what i can do. i haven't tried to upload any pics yet, and i've got a group of boy scouts due to come into my shop any time now. if i don't get it today, i'll try tomorrow.

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 15

Great! Thanks so much!

klutz Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 15

can't find that pic on my home computer. i'll check when i get back to my shop monday.

bellsnbows Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellsnbows Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:56pm
post #10 of 15

I wasn't sure how to do it either. I don't know if this is the "right" way, but here's what I did. I really wanted the top to be edible, so I actually baked a square in the same size cake pan, but only put in a little batter. I put this cake on top of a board (cut to same size). Then I covered this in buttercream and fondant. I put dowel rods in the bottom cake that stuck out just a little in the back and a little higher in the middle. I made a slight indention in the bottom of the board so the dowels would sit in holes and secured with royal icing. I hope this makes sense!! There are two different ones in my pictures. Let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:05pm
post #11 of 15

Here's what I did...I cut out a piece of cardboard the size I wanted my lid to be (same size as my cake pan) Then I cut out my gumpaste the same size but adding an additional 1" on each side. Then I set the cardboard on top of something smaller (for me it was a Crisco can). Then I laid my gumpaste over the carboard and smoothed it out. Then I folded the corners over on the ends so that it looked like the end of a package when you wrap it. (Hope that makes sense). Then just wait for it to dry thoroughly (about 48 hours in my experience). Then when ready to place on the cake, I used to short babmoo skewers into the cake where the 'lip' of the lid will be and rest the lid right on top of the skewers. Then you can put 'tissue' in place to cover the parts of the skewers that show. Just make sure your gumpaste is completely dry or the skewers will tear the edge of your lid.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 15

I am glad you asked this question I'm getting ready to make a cake like this.
Do you make the lid in advance so it can set?
Molly

Misdawn Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:18pm
post #13 of 15

I just thought about it...foamcore (foam board) would probably work better than cardboard because you could stick the skewers into the foam core slightly and then you wouldn't have any pulling or tearing issues. I thikn I'll try that on my next one.

Misdawn Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:19pm
post #14 of 15

Yeah because the gumpaste needs to dry 48 hours you kinda hafta' make it at least three days ahead of time so you have time to make any adjustments and decorate it.

poochynooch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poochynooch Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 5:10pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks everyone for their great suggestions -- I think I have it -- will post the pic once complete.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%