Wedding Cake Tastings...any Pointers

Decorating By HipnotiqGlamour Updated 25 Jan 2009 , 4:28pm by tarheelgirl

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 16

I have two tastings coming up and havent done one before. I was wondering how would I go about having different types of cakes available for them to taste without having to bake a full size cake. They both want to test four flavors and they are all different for both brides.

I dont want to have to bake 8 different flavored full size cakes and have them go to waste... Any ideas??

15 replies
KHalstead Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 16

well, what are the flavors you're making?? Pretty much all of my flavors come from either a white, yellow, or chocolate cake mix and then I add flavorings from there.
white chocolate= white cake mix, melted white chocolate, white choc. pudding
white choc. raspberry= " " + rasp. extract
etc. etc.

Do you use mixes? or is everything from scratch?? Are you charging for the tastings?

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 16

I am not charging for the tastings although I feel that I should. I agreed to free consultations and tastings if they placed an order.

I usually start from doctored cake mixes yes. Is there anyway I can divide a reguluar receipe into three or four different flavors?

KHalstead Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 16

I divide mine in half all the time!!! I just shake up the mix really well and then pour half into a bowl and then put half a box of pudding and go from there. Most times for my tastings I'll either make a couple cupcakes or just a little 4" round cake (they can cut it up into 4's if that's how many people)
I draw a line at 4 flavors of cake/filling because I too offer the tastings for free and I always bake fresh for them and don't want to have to make a million flavors of cake all at once either.
Half of a cake mix will make 2 or 3- 4" rounds.
Basically I halve my mix and make it up and then go ahead and split that into 2 or 3 batches based on the flavors I need and make cupcakes out of them. Believe it or not I've had people say they wanted to try white cake and confetti cake with pink sprinkles and I explain that it's the same cake only one has sprinkles in it, but they still wanna try BOTH of them lol, makes no sense.
Anyhow, I can help you figure out how to divvy it all up for the flavors you need if I know the 8 flavors you have to make.
Oh and's a TASTING, not a birthday party.......they need a bite or two of each flavor and that's it!!!
As for fillings, I usually put a couple tablespoons of each filling into disposable pastry bags and let them squirt the different fillings on whatever flavor cake they choose, that way they can mix and match the fillings and cake flavors......I had one bride that wanted to try white cake with every filling I offer.....and I think she seriously thought I was bringing her a small cake or cupcake of white cake with EVERY filling...............big surprise when I showed up with 10 little piping bags of filling lol and one small cake!
This was the reason I drew the line at 4 flavors of cake or filling........meaning if they choose 3 cake flavors, then they get to choose 1 filling flavor.....every flavor of cake/filling after 4 is $5.00 each! Believe it or not, I've also had people order an additional 4 flavors and pay the $20.00 no problem which resulted in the tasting not costing me a penny! Bonus!

minicuppie Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 16

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 16

Wow KHalstead
Thank you so much. If you dont mind im going to contact both brides within the next few days and ill e-mail you or post the flavors they want. If you could help me out thats wonderful!!!!!!

Thank you thank you

KHalstead Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 16

no problem, I'm happy to help! Make sure you put a cap on how many flavors they can order though......people LOVE free cake and they'll take advantage VERY quickly!

sweetneice Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 16

KHALSTED, YOU ROCK! I do 3 flavors in the form of cupcakes too! I thought Iwas doing it wrong, but I feel better knowing I'm not the only one! I just posted a thread about a guy who wants a cake instead of cupcakes. I explained it's the same thing! He didnt agree

indydebi Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:38am
post #9 of 16

I also offer 3 flavors at a tasting.

I bake a single layer 8" square of each flavor. Cut the square into 9 pieces. This fits perfectly in a gallon-size ziplock bag. For a tasting, I pull one of each square out of the ziplock. I bake once for 9 sampling appts.

I put dollops of icing and fillings on a tray and they can mix-n-match the various icings/fillings with the different cakes.

ALVARGA Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:33am
post #10 of 16

I am doing a tasting tomorow and I have done mini cupcakes out of leftover cake batter that I froze previously. Quick and easy and just enough for a taste.

sweetneice Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:20pm
post #11 of 16

ALVARGA, the freezing doesn't affect your cake when you bake it? I always wondered what would happen if I froze my cake batter and then baked it. How do you freeze yours?

ALVARGA Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:00pm
post #12 of 16

I freeze cake batter all the time. I wen to the restaurant supply store and purchase 1 qt reusable storage containers. They are really nice and sturdy and I freeze the leftover batter in these. The stack nicely in the freezer and I move them to the refrigerator the day before I want to bake. I then give them a quick stir with a spatula and bake as usual. I don't see any difference in taste or texture. I have frozen both boxed and scratch cake batter. I like it alot better than baking and freezeing the finished product besides it takes less room in my freezer. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

handymama Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:26pm
post #13 of 16

ALVARGA--do you find that the frozen/refrigerated batter doesn't rise as much as fresh? Do you add baking powder? How long will refrigerated batter stay good?

minicuppie Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:46pm
post #14 of 16

I take the cupcake a wee bit further and do the tiny bundt cakes. I like that the client can put a dollop of filling in the middle, "ice" with BC then cut in half and share a "cake". I only do my basic white and chocolate fudge cake and up to 4 fillings and 2 BC (vanilla and chocolate). I bring a couple of jams and oil flavorings and the tasting has become an educational experience when it hits them that this is a creative, custom product. (If they are having a big "do" sometimes I include some bubbly. They loosen up and a potential stressful chore has become a relaxed occasion.)

ALVARGA Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:09pm
post #15 of 16

I have not seen any difference in the rising of the cakes. Frozen batter doesn't keep in my freezer very long. I usually use it within about 3 weeks. I have kept it in the refrigerator for as long as 3 days and it does OK for me. I have really never had a problem with useing frozen or refrigerated cake batter. Cakes come out as good as if I had used freshly made batter. Try it......

tarheelgirl Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:28pm
post #16 of 16

My first tasting is Friday! I am doing 3 cake flavors as well as various fillings. What fillings do you guys offer? I am doing the raspberry, maybe black berry, thought about the chocolate ganache but with the weddings being in May I don't know if the ganache would be a great filling. I think it would melt and make the cake layers slide around. I also thought about putting the 4" cakes together with the various fillings but never thought of putting it on the platter alone for them to mix and match.

Quote by @%username% on %date%