Outdoor Wedding In August - Any Pointers?

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 7:55pm by fiddlesticks

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 17

My co-worker is getting married in August and is thinking of having me do her cake. She's coming over this weekend to taste a few of my cakes/fillings/icings with her fiance and MIL.

I just found out she is having it outdoors. In speaking with her, she did say that we can keep the cake inside as they are having their wedding at her future IL's house - in the backyard.

I kinda freaked when she said it was outdoors. I know BC is not stable in the heat and I don't think she wants fondant.

Seeing as she said the cake can be kept in the house, can she still have just about anything without having issues? Should I be recommending certain icings or fillings? If we can set the cake up inside, I can't see any issues, but if they decide to have it kept outside, what should I be aware of and steer her towards and away from?

Thanks!

16 replies
TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 17

I would advoid any fillings that have to be refrigerated, your Swiss and Italin buttercreams and you may want to avoid a ratio higher butter recipes or go for an all high ratio shortening recipe and loose the butter all together.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 17

indydebi uses her icing recipe outside in the summer and has no problems. Send her a pm and I'm sure she can give you lots of pointers.

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 17

I do outside wedding all the time and have also never had a problem. I do use a crusting icing with a crisco base (no butter which has a much lower melting point). If the wedding cake is to be kept inside, I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck!

Trixyinaz Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 17

Thanks! I will feel her out on Sunday. The BC that I use has butter in it, but if she decides to have it outside, I can let her know that there is a BC that I can use that should hold up just fine. She's leaning towards raspberry and lemon filling. If they go outside, I'd be concerned with those fillings since I make them from scratch and the lemon filling has eggs in it.

I'll PM Debi as well...unless she beats me to it and replies to this thread.

Thanks again!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 17

I did a buttercream wedding cake this July (in Texas) that was out doors and it held up better than I thought it would. I use Crisco in my icing though.

I would just tell her that because of the heat you will have to use such and such recipe for your icing. I'm not sure what to tell you about your filling as I don't do alot of scratch fillings. For the cake mentioned above I used strawberry preserves and lemon pie filling.

I did keep the cake indoors during the actually wedding portion of things and moved it outside as they were taking pictures. I made sure to tell her ahead of time it needed to be set up in the shade. It actually sat there while they had a BBQ dinner before they even got around to cutting it, and it was still intact and tasted great.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:35am
post #7 of 17

Thanks for the kudos, tiggy! thumbs_up.gif

If you use my icing, you will have ZERO problems. I have never, ever worried about icing melting and I have never, ever had icing melt ... including my famous August outdoor wedding in over 90 degree heat in Indiana humidity (the kind that makes you walk bent over, it's so heavy) and the cake sat outside for over 5 hours .... no problems.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:47am
post #8 of 17

how about using those filling sleeves that i've read about on here- I hear they come in lots of flavors and maybe ok if it's not refrigerated. I know raspberry is one that Henry and Henry carries, maybe they have lemon too. Check the globalsugarart.com site for henry and henry's fillings. icon_smile.gif

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:53am
post #9 of 17

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=735
here's a link to the \\henry and henry fillings- they do have lemon as well. check it out! good luck! a lot of people rave about the bavarian cream.

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:03am
post #10 of 17

Indydebi,

How long can your recipe for icing sit out? With the Dream Whip in it, I wasn't sure?

Definitely going to try it icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:20am
post #11 of 17

m1m, i never refrigerate it. I've had it sitting on my counter for days and days and it's just fine.

MJ2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJ2008 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:41am
post #12 of 17

I wouldn't even do a buttercream if it's going to be outside. A coworker had a buttercream cake and nobody told her it would melt at their outdoor reception. She was devastated when it pretty much collapsed before they could even cut it.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:56am
post #13 of 17

I have a suggestion ....don't use a fondant ribbon...this happened to a cake i made for a relative this summer in Sept (Ga..outside, a MILLION degrees).

I used satin ice fondant...Notcie the buttercream (made with hi ratio) is NOT sliding at all. i hear the cake was good...but I was drinking my bar drinks through a straw (never a good idea in the heat either mind you) because I could not stand to look at the goth cake.
LL

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:14am
post #14 of 17

Thanks Indydebi,

That's exactly what I was wondering-how long would it sit on the counter.
Thanks for answering my question.

icon_smile.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:27am
post #15 of 17

Oh cookie, that is devastating! I can't believe that!

Thanks Debi...what kind of filling did you use. I want to say I've seen you mention that you use the sleeves. Do you not need to refrigerate the fruit fillings that are in the sleeves?

Thanks everyone for all your help.

indydebi Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:39pm
post #16 of 17

i store leftover sleeve filling in the 'frig, but once it's in a cake, it's not refrigerated.

I never refrigerate my cakes.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:55pm
post #17 of 17

Hey Vicki! I have to say That the raspberry sleeve fillling is a big hit in my area! I have people ask for it all the time, I love it to ! And no you dont have to keep it in the fridge , Well I store the left over in there but theres none of that to often he he!
Its yummy alone or mixed with some buttercream to make the raspberry cream filling! Delish!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%