Ideas For Woman's 90Th Birthday

Decorating By Daisy135 Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 5:40pm by Marianna46

Daisy135 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy135 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 9

We will be celebrating DH's grandmother's 90th birthday on Valentine's Day (her birthdate is feb.13). I need ideas for a simple yet elegant/sophisticated cake. I am willing to use red for accents b/c it's her favorite color but it is not a requirement. Any ideas greatly appreciated...thanks for looking!

Christie

8 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 9

This will work with any size round cake. White iced cake (or covered in white fondant) covered with very fine red cornelli lace (use royal icing for all the deco if cake is covered in fondant, otherwise, BC is fine) on the sides and the top going in about 2-4 inches from sides on top (depending on size of cake) of the cake (no top border). Pipe a reverse shell border in red using a small open-star tip where the cornelli lace stops on the top of the cake. This will leave a plain white circle in the middle of the cake - you want this circle to about 6 inches in diamenter. In the center of this circle, put a mound of red roses. For the bottom border of the cake, using red icing pipe a shell border using a medium open star tip. Using an open star tip one size smaller, pipe red rosettes on top of every other shell. Place an edible white pearl dragee on top of each rossette.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 9
SS385Monte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SS385Monte Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 9

I'm starting to organize to do a cake for my grandmother's 80th birthday. There's some really neat photo cakes on here that gave me the idea (just do a search for photo or photographs in the gallery). I'm doing three tiers with black and white pictures around each tier of my grandmother. We're going with purple for the party colors, so I'm going to accent the black and white with some purple flowers and/or ribbon. I haven't decided all the details yet, but with 80 years I know I can find lots of pictures!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 9

My mother-in-law will be 102 in May (and still going strong!), so I've been giving a lot of thought to this, too. I know she'd like a cake with flowers, and I think prterrell's idea sounds great. On the other hand, a cake with edible photos of all her descendants would knock her socks off, although it would have to be a really big cake icon_smile.gif. The woman has a great sense of humor, so even better still would be something really quirky that would make her lol. I've no ideas about this one yet, and suggestions would be welcome. Do any of these possibilities sound good?

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 9

I like the idea of the edible photos.....here is one I did for my mom's best friend....
LL

Daisy135 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy135 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for the ideas. Glad this thread will be useful to others too.

I think that I am going to go with a combination of pterrell's suggestion and the inspiration that I am linking below. Still not decided about the colors but leaning towards white w/ red piping b/c I know GMA loves red. Will also do some fondant or gumpaste roses. The photo ideas sound awesome but I don't have access to edible images and I don't have a ton of time to put into this cake b/c DS's 1st bday is the week after and DD's 4th is 2 wks after DS's. Busy season on top of teaching hs f/t...LOL! Thanks for the quick responses. I'll still be watching this thread and will return to share my outcome.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=815903

Christie

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:26pm
post #8 of 9

Marianna46 How about a family tree design with the photos?

SpiritedArtist I'm sure your cake will be beautiful and your grandmother will love it! Can't wait to see your pic!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:40pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks, prterrell, for the family tree idea. Maybe a double sized sheet cake, cause there are lots of little fruits on this particular tree - LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%