Chocolate Cake Looks Like Elephant Skin?

Decorating By ddaigle Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 2:03am by Melvira

ddaigle Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 10

I made my first chocolate buttercream cake. Though it tasted great, it looks like elephant skin. Does chocolate never get that smooth appearance like the white BC icing? I'm thinking the cocoa did it, but need your advise. Thanks. Deb
LL

9 replies
Melvira Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 10

Mmmmm, I'd eat that! It looks super yummy! But I know what you mean about the wrinkles.

*What kind of chocolate BC did you use, just added cocoa to your normal recipe? Or a different recipe that you've not successfully smoothed before?

*Since it required cocoa to make it chocolate, did you add more liquid to bring it down to spreading consistency?

*How did you apply it to the cake?

*What smoothing technique did you use?

The answers to these questions may help us try to resolve this for you!![/list]

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 10

I think your cake looks great and definitely delicious. (No breakfast here, yet.) I haven't found a big difference between smoothing the two - white versus dark. I love working with chocolate! (JMO)

Lisa

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 10

I think your cake looks great and definitely delicious. (No breakfast here, yet.) I haven't found a big difference between smoothing the two - white versus dark. I love working with chocolate! (JMO)

Lisa

Dizzymaiden Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 10

sometimes if I don't blend the cocoa into the wet mixture first it causes a separation - like wrinkled skin. Also since I started using a higher quality cocoa it has not happened.

ddaigle Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 10

I might have created my own nightmare with this. It ended up being a science project. I started out with a crusting BC recipe from here by melting some semi-sweet chocolate. I used Ghirardelli. It wasn't dark enough (for me) or chocolately enough so that is when I started adding cocoa and chocolate syrup to add some "liquid". It crusted up beautifully. I thinned it a little to ice, then kept some firmer consistanty to pipe. Again, I probably caused the disaster myself. So, I guess my question should be, should chocolate and white icing have the same end result (appearance)? Thanks. Lisa...I should of listened to you and used Jibbies recipe.

Dizzymaiden Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I might have created my own nightmare with this. It ended up being a science project. I started out with a crusting BC recipe from here by melting some semi-sweet chocolate. I used Ghirardelli. It wasn't dark enough (for me) or chocolately enough so that is when I started adding cocoa and chocolate syrup to add some "liquid". It crusted up beautifully. I thinned it a little to ice, then kept some firmer consistanty to pipe. Again, I probably caused the disaster myself. So, I guess my question should be, should chocolate and white icing have the same end result (appearance)? Thanks. Lisa...I should of listened to you and used Jibbies recipe.

Mystery solved - no chocolate and white do not end up the same but I don't think that was the issue. I think it was the syrup and melted chocolate mix...??

I love baking because it is a science! I started out as a chemist and found baking ...I was hooked.

Anyway - I am sure it taste great and it looks y u m m y!

Melvira Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:51pm
post #8 of 10

Yep, think you answered your own question. I use the same smoothing method for chocolate as I do for white and it works the same. I guess try again and don't make franken-frosting!! Hahahaha!! Good luck!

ddaigle Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:41am
post #9 of 10

Franken Frosting!! Too funny Melvira! I just can't find DARK cocoa powder here!

Melvira Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:03am
post #10 of 10

I try! I saw someone's signature once that said, "If you can't laugh at yourself, you're missing out on a lot of jokes." I love that line.

But seriously... what I do when I want that darker look but can't get the darker cocoa (I've never bothered because I just do this...) is just give it a healthy squeeze of brown food coloring. I ended up buying a large bottle of it (16oz I think?) so when I make chocolate icing, if it's not dark enough, I give a good squeeze of that until it looks good! (Doesn't affect the taste) I usually don't mind the lighter looking chocolate icing though. Mine tends to taste like the inside of a Charleston Chew bar, and those are kind of light colored, so like I said, it doesn't bug me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%