Oops A Huge Mistake In Pricing...what Shouldi Do?

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 4:52am by bakedit

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 11

I was contacted yesterday by the Edy Ice cream Co to do a cake for 165 in the shape of their 1/2 gallon icecream tub. Iam stacking 4 12 X 3 cakes is differint flavors and covered in fondant, probably hand paint the fondant. Here is the prob. What should I charge per slice. This is a rush cake they need it Tuesday.And I am leaving tonight to deliver a cake 150 miles away and wont be back until Sunday. So I am really working ard today to et as much done as I can(baking) I really underpriced myself at $2.00 a slice. I dont think it will be a problem to adjust the price with them as I know the peson who contacted me( my brother-in-law) and he seemed to not care what the price would be. Is it Tacky for me to now change my price. Nothing has been written or signed. If that makes a difference!

10 replies
Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 11

What would you normally charge? If the difference is $1 or more I would def. call, especially since you are speaking to your BIL, it sounds like a lot of work and under pressure. Good luck!

cathie_shinnick Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 11

I was told that a fondant cake is usually $5.00 per serving. Am I right? I understand that upping the price that much may look really bad, like Im trying to take advantage of the fact that there is "no problem" with the price. I may tel him its $3.50 per serving. Any thoughts?

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 11

I don't think it's tacky to let your BIL know that you underpriced, but tell him ASAP to make sure there's no problem. Good luck--you're going to have a wacky busy weekend!!!

cathie_shinnick Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks. Yea I also have 3 Superbowl cakes. But I am at my best when stressed and last minute!!!!! More coffee, more coffee!!!!!!!

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 11

there is always the theory.... 'it never hurts to ask'.

it would be a real shame if you didn't bring it up, and found out later they had not problem paying 3x's as much. icon_smile.gif

you should certainly say something. icon_smile.gif good luck!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:01pm
post #7 of 11

I would explain the situatuon and how you did the wrong price trying to get the cake out for him in the middle of so much chaos..Maybe he will understand.
Edna icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 11

I don't know about this particular cake.

But when you get a chance to think and plan later, maybe go through different scenarios --look at different cake pictures and decide how you would price this and that and write down some basics.

For example what would be your minimum and your per serving price for non-tier cakes, tier cakes, sculptures, 2-d and 3-d, each of those categories in buttercream and in fondant. Something like that to develop a basic reference guide.

Then when someone calls you can say well my minimum for 3-d sculptures is $150 (or whatever) so let me look at this project and give you a call back in an hour with a firm price. Or by tomorrow or something like that. So you give yourself a chance to see what you got and see what it would take to do it.

So many times we are put on the spot to come up with a price so we need to work in some lead time.

That's how I try to do it.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:37pm
post #9 of 11

I would charge the same whether the customer could afford only what I charge or 3x's what I charge.......you can't charge more just because they're willing to pay it. You need to figure out a per serving charge for a fondant covered cake and then add on for the custom painted details, etc. When asked to do a cake it's always best to say.......let me get back to you with a quote!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 11

I had this one girl ask and ask and ask--I had done a chess set with chocolate chess men for a silent auction. She wanted to know how much I would charge.

I said,
"I only do cakes to donate, I don't sell to the public."
"But how much would you charge?"
"I'm not licensed, I don't have a price set for it."
"But how much would it be?"
"A lot. It would be expensive. But they are not for sale."
"So how much is that?"
"Several hundred dollars."
"How many hundred?"

Grr go afreakinway, man. icon_biggrin.gif

bakedit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedit Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 4:52am
post #11 of 11

Okay yes, its a tuff one, but I tell customers that i charge $2 - $3 per slice for the cake and then the decorations are extra. Because everycake IS individual and is priced so. I especially let them know that fondant covering is more expensive than frosting. Maybe you could use this tactic with your cake? Let them know its costing you moe than estimated to decorate it as its custom made.
Good luck with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%