Is This Foodsafe And A Good Idea?

Decorating By TracyLH Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 3:16pm by punkinpie

TracyLH Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 12

Hi! I know that this is a very general question that is baking related, but I am unsure about something and you all are the experts in my opinion.

My son is off to go camping tonight and is making cornbread for his Scout troop tomorrow night. He wants to mix the wet ingredients (milk, eggs, oil) together in a glass jar today so they can just pour it in the dry tomorrow. It will be kept in a cooler, although it might colder outside of it as it is projected to be a high of 20 degrees. (Yikes!)

Does mixing the wet the night before sound fine or does that cause a problem by doing so?

Thanks for your help! It seems fine, but I just wanted to make sure.

11 replies
peg818 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 12

The milk and oil is no problem i would worry about the eggs. If you use the pasteurized eggs that come in a carton there wouldn't be a problem.

TracyLH Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks! I thought if it was all kept cold that we were good to go. They need to use real eggs, so I can try to package them so they don't break and they can add them there. Putting it all together in advance just seemed so easy, but getting a bunch of Scouts sick is not ideal!

chassidyg Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 12

i have no input, but hope your son has fun, my baby bro's go this weekend tonight-sunday, and by sunday afternoon it's supposed to have snown 5inches!

ziggytarheel Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 12

I'm no expert, but I know that friends have mixed wet ingredients in one container and dry in another and put it all together at the campsite.

sarahpierce Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:27pm
post #6 of 12

Just a suggestion: Pack a couple extra eggs in case of breakage, or if they get a bloody one.

TracyLH Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks for the input! I actually just called the Dept. of Agriculture as he really wants to do it this way and they said as long as it is kept cold, it isn't an issue. We will do a test run to see how well it bakes up and if eggs get sent along, I will use your wise advice Sarah and pack extra! Thanks everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:19am
post #8 of 12

I don't know if you still have time but you could always buy the yellow plastic egg cartons in the camping section of a store. (maybe Walmart ?) That's what we use when we go camping to keep the eggs from breaking.

Something like this:

TracyLH Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:24pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks xstitcher! I didn't even know about those! icon_biggrin.gif

Auryn Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 11:15pm
post #10 of 12

i have one of those egg carriers and they are awesome.
When you first use it you think your going to break all the eggs just by closing it, but they dont.

I've held it -full of eggs- from the handle and swung it around, put it in the back seat of the car while driving
and no broken eggs yet.

PinkZiab Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:07pm
post #11 of 12

As long as it's kept cold it won't be a problem... the milk and oil won't have any adverse effects on the eggs.

punkinpie Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:16pm
post #12 of 12

Sounds like it will be a chilly camping trip! I bet that will be the best cornbread. I find everything tastes better on a camping trip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%