Is Buttercream With Hi-Ratio Shortening Sweeter...

Decorating By zamku Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 6:26pm by zamku

zamku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zamku Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 11:40am
post #1 of 6

than the regular shortening. I was just wondering. I have read many positive reviews about hi-ratio. So was curious as if it is more creamier than the regular shortening or more sweet?
Thanks,

5 replies
SweetSandee92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSandee92 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 11:56am
post #2 of 6

I've been using hi-ratio for about 3yrs and haven't noticed a difference in the sweetness of BC. But, what I have notice is the texture, it's a lot creamier. I've ran out out hi-ratio and had to use regular shortening in a pinch...it was grainy..almost like all the sugar didn't dissolve, and I sift my sugar at least twice. JMO

HTH,
Sandee...

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:11pm
post #3 of 6

I was interested in knowing that also.

Thanks

mabryant0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mabryant0212 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 6

wHAT BRANDS DO YOU GUYS USE....AND what is the diferance and where do you buy it at?

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 6

I started using hi-ratio shortening, when I started making Sugarshack's icing recipe, and I love it! I either drive 2 hours to buy it from Browns food service or our friends who have a store will order it for me.

I can't get Sweetex (unless I order over the internet from cake supply company), so I get Alpine from Browns. IMHO, the hi-ratio has made a smoother, better texture icing, and I don't have the greasy filling in the mouth. I have never notice it causing my icing to be any sweeter, but that is me and my family/friend's opinions.

You can order Sweetex from Colbal Sugar Art http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=Sweetex&searchimage.x=30&searchimage.y=4 , Into The Oven http://www.intotheoven.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Alpine&keywords=Alpine . A cake supply place near you may also sell it, you could check and see. I am sure their other places that sell it also, someone else may be able to help more about them.

You could also try a store in your area and see if they will order it for you. EXP: Like a corner store, mom & pop type store, country store. Or check to see if you have a food service company in your area that will sell it to you. Like Browns, Sysco food service or other food services.

Someone may be able to give more info on where you might be able to order, or buy it from. Also there are other brands I have seen posters write about, I just no know what the names of them are. Hope this helps.

God Bless,
Sharon

zamku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zamku Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks SweetSandee92 and grannys3angels. You were very helpful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%