Does Anyone Have A .......

Decorating By kkitchen Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 5:20am by sayhellojana

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:13am
post #1 of 18

tried and true white cake recipe that they can share with me please? It could be a scratch cake recipe or a box cake recipe.

Thanks a lot
Trina

17 replies
cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:19am
post #2 of 18

I just use a box cake mix add an extra egg wite and add some marshmallow flavoring. I get lots of compliments.

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:28am
post #3 of 18

Look for the *original* White Almond Sour Cream recipe. I imagine kakeladi will be along to share it. It's WONDERFUL, and can be adapted to other flavors as well!

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:38am
post #4 of 18

well for cake box... we used to use... white cake mix with a box of white chocolate pudding...

kkitchen Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:42am
post #5 of 18

Thanks a lot, a friend wants me to make her a white cake with banana filling. She said that she just wants the white cake and the bananas sliced in between the cakes. I am worried that the bananas will get black, how do I prevent that from happening? She said that she do not want any pudding or anything. Just the bananas.

cvoges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvoges Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:44am
post #6 of 18

I bake from mixes and scratch. When I need a white cake, I use Kakeladi's WASC. When I need a chocolate cake, I usually use Susan's Chocolate Cake (allrecipes.com), but I have been known to use the Cake Doctor's Darn Good Chocolate Cake. Southern Living's Hummingbird Cake is absolutely wonderful, too.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:48am
post #7 of 18

No need to worry about the banana slices. Once they are sealed in between cake and icing no air can reach them. They will keep for several days w/o a problem.

kkitchen Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:09am
post #8 of 18

This is very interesting. So they will not get black at all? I see so many icing recipes on here. I do not know which one to use. Thanks a lot for all the help.

Trina

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:27am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

No need to worry about the banana slices. Once they are sealed in between cake and icing no air can reach them. They will keep for several days w/o a problem.

Really? I guess it doesn't work with pies then. I made a banana cream pie for Christmas and they were already brown the next day. I sliced bananas and laid them on the pie crust, then covered with the filling. Wonder why it works with cake and not pie?

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:43am
post #10 of 18

Try Serious_Cake's yellow cake recipe from her youtube videos. Its a white color, so I call it vanilla cake icon_smile.gif You can also alter it to make lemon, pink leomonade, champagne, etc.

Marissaisabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marissaisabel Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:47am
post #11 of 18

To avoid having your bananas turn brown I put then in a bowl with orange juice. This helps to keep them from turning brown. Just make sure you drain the banana slices well. Try it it works well for me.

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 8:27pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissaisabel

To avoid having your bananas turn brown I put then in a bowl with orange juice. This helps to keep them from turning brown. Just make sure you drain the banana slices well. Try it it works well for me.

Thanks, I'll try that. I never thought to try orange juice. I've used lemon juice on apples before, but my kids didn't like the taste. Then I tried lemon-lime soda, like Sprite or Sierra Mist. Wasn't sure if the same could be done with bananas.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 8:32pm
post #13 of 18

sayhellojana-what do you do to make it pink lemonade? Sounds like another tasty alternative!!

njwoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
njwoods Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 8:53pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstar_pilot

Look for the *original* White Almond Sour Cream recipe. I imagine kakeladi will be along to share it. It's WONDERFUL, and can be adapted to other flavors as well!

hello all,
Thanks so much for the tip and I will check it out.

I have not been making cakes for a while now, mostly muffins and quick breads----just lazy I guess. I did try changing the wheat flours for spelt and oat, it makes them very light and much healthier for us too.

fun and good taste starts here....candy

sayhellojana Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 10:49pm
post #15 of 18

Serious_Cakes - I used pink lemonade concentrate in place of milk, plus a bit of food coloring. It was a bizarre request from one of my friends, but it didn't turn out half bad. It didn't rise quite as much, but no huge change. I am so in love with your recipe - it's so versatile. Oh, and using sour cream in place of milk is really tasty too. It makes the cake more dense.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:59am
post #16 of 18

Thank you! I am going to have to give those a try. I also wanted to try swirling some kind of jam or preserves in *before* I bake, I wonder how that would work.....

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:10am
post #17 of 18

It will work just fine. The jam tends to sink a bit so the finished cake will have a slight bumpy look icon_smile.gif

sayhellojana Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:20am
post #18 of 18

Haha. I've done that too! I used a few tablespoons of raspberry jam and mixed that in real well, then marbled that and the white batter in the pan. It was a cool effect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%