4 12X3 Cakes Stacked..how Do I Cover With Fondant?

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 25 Jan 2009 , 8:17pm by Kitagrl

cathie_shinnick Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:36am
post #1 of 19

Hi guys! I have a bit of a dillema. I have been asked by a very popular Ice Cream Co.(I dont know if we can use names), to make a cake for 165 people that would resemble their 1/2 gallon ice cream tub. I am making 4 12 X3 round cakes each a different flavor, stacked. Here is the problem. How on earth do I cover it in fondant? Oh.. they need it Tuesday.

18 replies
mareg Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:47am
post #2 of 19

wow. My guess is very carefully? That is alot of fondant. What about using a big huge dowl to help you pick it up to put it on the cake? Good luck!! Let us know how it comes out.

cathie_shinnick Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:52am
post #3 of 19

Should I make a large rectangle and cover it "around" the cake? But what about the seam?

kaykakes Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:52am
post #4 of 19

why don't you roll out and wrap around sides then do the top. I think that would be the easiest way.

emiyeric Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:53am
post #5 of 19

Holy cow! Depending on the label on the tub, could you perhaps cover the very top and very bottom layers independently in one color, then the middle two in a separate color, to simulate a label going around the thing? It's still a large cake to cover, but at least it's half the height! Good luck, and be sure to post pictures!!

PistachioCranberry Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:56am
post #6 of 19

You might have to cover the cake with chocolate or marzipan first and ther either roll the fondant out really large or do the side first and then the top.

cathie_shinnick Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:00am
post #7 of 19

Why chocolate or marzipan? icon_smile.gif Is it better than just using buttercreme?

Kitagrl Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:01am
post #8 of 19

I did a huge Nestea jar (in my photos, eight stacked rounds) to serve 100 for the Nestle corporation and I think I actually covered it in two sections and then "caulked" the seams with royal icing. Then did the hand painting around. If you look at an ice cream or any other container, you'll notice the labels contain seams as well. If you plan it to where the fondant seam is caulked and then corresponds with the label "seam" then nobody will notice.

Good luck!

enoid Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:06am
post #9 of 19

Fondant has a tendency to slump if you try standing it on edge without it going over the top of the cake. The chocolate gives it some strength as I understand it.

cathie_shinnick Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:08am
post #10 of 19

WOW!!!! great job on the Nestea jar this is actually for Edys Ice cream, and I never thought about the seam on the container. Thank you. Also did you paint the fondant for your order? It looks great, and I was wondering how I was going to do the logo. Thank you so much

PistachioCranberry Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:08am
post #11 of 19

You will still ice the cake with buttercream, but it seems that since it's such a huge cake and you will need lots of fondant, then the fondant might be too heavy for the cake to hold on its own. Unless you are using a really dense cake.

cathie_shinnick Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:11am
post #12 of 19

What "chocolate" do you mean?

cathie_shinnick Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:48am
post #13 of 19

Will butter creme frosting be heavy enough to hold the fondant if i wrap it around the cakes?

PistachioCranberry Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 11:55am
post #14 of 19

It's called modelling chocolate and decorators like to use it on large cakes since fondant has a tendency to slide off because of gravity and how soft the buttercream can make it. I'm pretty sure there are recipes for it. This would be needed more so if you ae doing it all in one piece. You might be able to get away with it if you do it in two pieces.

eldag0615 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:21pm
post #15 of 19

wow, what a challenge. Please post pictures of the ice cream tub, and Kitagrl, that ice tea and coffee look amazing!!!!!

cathie_shinnick Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:45pm
post #16 of 19

to use modeling chocolate, its chocolate mixed with corn syrup right/? is it smooth enough to apply with a spatula? Im confused:0

aligotmatt Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:01pm
post #17 of 19

I don't know if it's my humidity level here, but I've found in cakes that are tall like that, it's good to add a little gumpaste or gumtex to the fondant before covering it. Do it much stiffer than normal, do a buttercream layer on the cake, roll out your fondant mix on crisco (with the corn starch and the stiffer fondant, it makes a crack-y mess). For the style you are doing, I would wrap around the cake, because you're going to have to create a top seam no matter what for the lid.

leahk Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:07pm
post #18 of 19

yes that is how you make modeling choc. after it is mixed well, you have to let it cure for a while. i pour the mixture into a ziploc and let it sit overnight. then you need small amounts at a time until it is workable.
good luck!

Kitagrl Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 8:17pm
post #19 of 19

Yes I did handpaint the Nestea and Taster's Choice....I mostly used airbrush liquids and some food pens. Thanks!

Can't wait to see the Edy's! Its my favorite brand, too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%