Advice Needed For Topsy Turvy/tilted Cake

Decorating By jessi01 Updated 25 Jan 2009 , 1:43pm by jessi01

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:01am
post #1 of 8

Hello,
I have to do a topsy turvy cake for 110 and I am a bit nervous.. I have done one before but just that one.. If anyone has any usefull tips or advice I would really love it!

Here is a picture of the cake I did before....
and a pic of the cake that was sent to me by the customer to be done for 110 for her daughters sweet 16..(this one is a pink cake box design)
LL

7 replies
jessi01 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:03am
post #2 of 8

ok here is the pink cake box design I need to use.... sorry that one didn't work icon_redface.gif
LL

jessi01 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 8

*bump*

what I am looking for is some constuctive critisism that may help me better my topsy/turvy making skills.... anyone? icon_cry.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 8

Well I think you are doing just fine! icon_smile.gif
I like the sizing on the mask cake. I don't care that much for the taller tiers.
Some yrs back on another board there was a gal who used the Wonder mold to make (,mostly single layer) TTs. All she did was turn the WM cake top down.......no carving, problemsicon_smile.gif
Maybe you could incorporate this idea into your work.

jessi01 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you... I just notice that the mask cake is sooo smooth.. how do I get my fondant like that? Am I not rolling it thick enough? and also, what sizes would you think I go with for 110 servings? I was thinking 12/14 10/8 6/4 I don't have odd number pans icon_redface.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 8

Ok here's a good link

http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/message/saved/TILTEDCAKES.htm

this is pretty much how I made one if you do make a hole to sit your top cake in, make sure you leave room for the thickness of your fondant, or buttercream. Anyhow I woulds also not drive to far for this cake as it might settle.

Hope the link helps or at least that some else adds more links. icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 8

I chill all my cakes for delivery. Ever the more (most) so for a topsy turvy.

jessi01 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 1:43pm
post #8 of 8

THanks for the link! thumbs_up.gif that's a good diagram, I did not use that method for the first one I did but I was definatly planning on it for this one because of it being so much larger... I was thinking I would have to assemble on site.. the location is about 30 mins from here and I didn't know how the cake would travel..

Oh and I will definatly chill it..thanks thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%