Can This Recipe Be Salvaged?

Decorating By floophs Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 2:06am by floophs

floophs Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:58am
post #1 of 6

I found a recipe for "White Chocolate Vanilla Cheesecake Mousse" on the internet. It's supposed to be similar to Costco's vanilla cheesecake filling. Here's the recipe...

8 oz. white chocolate
16 oz. well-chilled heavy cream
1 sm. vanilla instant pudding
2 c. cold whole milk
1 8 oz. container whipped cream cheese
3/4 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt

In a small bowl, melt white choc in microwave until smooth

In medium bowl, beat heavy cream until it holds soft peaks

In medium bowl, beat pudding and milk for 2 min

In large bowl beat together cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt until smooth.

Stir pudding into cream cheese mixture. Stir in 1/3 of the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture to lighten. Then fold in another 1/3 of the whipped cream and then fold in the remaining 1/3. Use as a filling for a yellow cake.

OK, so I made it and at the end realized...it doesn't say when and where to mix in the white chocolate. Then I realized that my white baking choc was old so I wouldn't want to mix it in anyways. So I decided to try melting white chocolate chips. It didn't work...it turned hard and never smoothed out (even though I melted it on low and stirred often). So now I have this big bowl of "filling" that doesn't have much taste. Is there anything I can add to it to bring out some more flavor. It's also fairly runny too. Ugh...I hate that when you spend the money and time trying to make a new recipe and it's a flop. How frustrating!

Anyways, any advice or help would be great.

Thanks.

5 replies
ziggytarheel Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:10am
post #2 of 6

Do you still have your melted (hard) white chocolate chips?

I've resurrected those with a little canola oil. Works great! Just add some canola oil to the white chocolate mess and slowly heat and stir.

Jayde Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:16am
post #3 of 6

First, I am always suspicious when a recipe calls for chilled cream. That means they want you to make your own 'whipped cream' to lighten your filling or whatever. I have a problem with this. It always ends up deflating and turning my filling runny. Instead I replace the chilled cream with Cool Whip extra creamy, same oz., and fold that in. It has stabilizers added to it that prevents it from deflating, once its whipped.

As for mixing in your white chocolate, I would whip up your room temp cream cheese until its smooth, and then add your ps. Add your vanilla and salt next. Then add your melted white chocolate and fully incorporate. Slowly pour in your milk, while on low speed. Add your pudding mix, and I would choose a cheesecake flavored pudding over vanilla, but just a suggestion for more flavor. Fold in your whipped cream last with a spatula.

HTH

cookieman Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:17am
post #4 of 6

This is exactly why I always read a recipe through quite a number of times before I make it, and I visualize each step in my mind. Well, you didn't ask for a lecture, so...

Not sure where you might add the melted white chocolate; maybe when you are supposed to "Stir pudding into cream cheese mixture". Maybe it should read: "Stir pudding and melted white chocolate into cream cheese mixture.

As for salvaging what you have, maybe adding some flavoring like almond extract? As for the consistency, do you think beating some powdered sugar into it would firm it up? I'm just throwing out ideas here...not sure at all what will really work. Good luck!

Jayde Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:17am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

Do you still have your melted (hard) white chocolate chips?

I've resurrected those with a little canola oil. Works great! Just add some canola oil to the white chocolate mess and slowly heat and stir.

When my chocolate siezes like that I keep adding a little dollop of shortening, stirring constantly, until it smoothes out.

floophs Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:06am
post #6 of 6

Great advice on the choc chips...unfortunately I already pitched them. icon_sad.gif I also like the advice of using Cool Whip instead of making your own "whipped" cream. Next time! (On a different recipe as I'll never make this one again.)

Thanks for all your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%