How Do I Respectfully Decline A Friend?

Decorating By kdosreis Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 8:26pm by kdosreis

kdosreis Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:21am
post #1 of 10

I'm not sure how to go about doing this, but I have a friend (well actually, the sister of a friend) who asked that I do her wedding cake. OK, no biggie, but she wants to transport to Vegas (an 8 hour car drive), in July! (I personally would not my wedding cake sitting in a car for 8 hours driving through a desert in the summer!) I'm trying to put together a response to her email request, but feel really rude saying no. Anyone have any advise??

Thanks!

9 replies
tyty Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:28am
post #2 of 10

I think you could just explain it to her like you explained it here. Your explaination does not sound rude.

enoid Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:30am
post #3 of 10

Well, there is always the I'm already booked for that weekend. Or you could tell her just what you said here. 8 hours transport in July not a good combination. You should also start by telling her how flattered you are that she wants you do make her cake. Hope that helps.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:31am
post #4 of 10

I would just say something:

I would love to help you celebrate your wedding, but transporting a cake is a challenge, transporting a cake 8 hours is difficult, and doing it the heat of July is near impossible. I want your day to be perfect and you stressing over whether or not the cake will make it doesn't seem like something you would want to worry about.

I would hate to have your cake melt away in the back seat. Logistically I just don't think it would work.
------------
Then suggest some good cake places in vegas (freeds is famous) maybe try to find out her price range... offer to make her an anniversary cake the next year?

I mean, I wouldn't want to spend 10 or more hours on a cake only to have it fall apart and melt on the ride over.

hth. good luck icon_smile.gif

Lorendabug Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:32am
post #5 of 10

Just like you said you would not feel comfortable transporting a cake in the summer to Las Vegas. Just talk to her and let her know that it really is not something you think is a good idea. Then maybe offer to help her find a place there that can make the cake of her dreams.

scoutmamma Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:35am
post #6 of 10

ok...

this is what you say....

Dear So and So...

First of all congratulations on your marriage! I hope you and your future husband have the wedding of your dreams and the marriage of a lifetime. That being said, i would hate to contribute to anything going wrong on your special day. I feel strongly that if you transported a cake for 8 hours across state lines to Nevada, the cake i would make for you wouldnt like like it did when you picked it up. The decoration and frosting is not intended to be exposed to heat and road turbulence for that amount of time. I would be happy to help you in finding someone closer to your wedding destination to fufill your cake needs. Thank you so much for considering me to do a cake for you on such a special day and i hope we can work together in the future.

Sincerely,

Me.

sillyjodes Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:41am
post #7 of 10

We've lived in Vegas for a couple years now and while I haven't tried Freeds, I would love to recommend Retro Bakery. They make the most delicious cupcakes I've ever had. Recently, they started selling decorated cakes as well.
Good luck

JodieF Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:07am
post #8 of 10

You could always stick with "I'm very flattered that you asked, but I won't be able to do your cake. Best of luck!"

chutzpah Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:08am
post #9 of 10

What is so rude about turning down this order?

kdosreis Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 8:26pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks so much for all of your advice! I can put together a perfect response now. I, by nature, am that person who is overly accomidating & can never say no. So, I felt rather uneasy telling her I couldn't do it. Thank you for confirming that my conserns are valid.

I LOVE CC! YOU ALL ARE THE BEST!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%