Fruit Filling?

Decorating By DsLady614 Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 3:35am by prterrell

DsLady614 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:15am
post #1 of 5

Ok... I'm sure the answer to this question is here somewhere, but for some reason search isn't working for me. I get one page and that's it.

So, here's my question. I would like to put a "real" fruit filling in a cake, rather than a mousse. Can I use, say, pie filling? If I put a light layer of buttercream between it and the cake, will that keep it from soaking through?

Thanks for the insight?

4 replies
MichelleM77 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:02am
post #2 of 5

I use seedless jam for my fruit fillings. They do not require refrigeration either. If they want it more like a mousse, I mix it with my buttercream. I would not want to try a pie filling as they seem kind of runny to me, no?

kakeladi Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:51am
post #3 of 5

Jams are perfect. I also have used canned pie fillings from time to time. Works just fineicon_smile.gif

DsLady614 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:26am
post #4 of 5

Thank's for the input. I was honestly a little concerned about pie filling being too runny. But now that I think about it, it probably is pretty well gelled. I will give it a shot. I'll just give both sides that are touching it a nice coat of buttercream, so the cake doesn't soak up the filling.

prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:35am
post #5 of 5

You don't have to coat the cake with buttercream before you put in the filling. The cake won't soak up the filling. If you put both buttercream and the fruit filling inbetween the layers of cake you're more likely to run into having too much stuff and the cake layers slipping or the filling oozing out the sides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%