Keylime Wedding Cake Recipe

Baking By tannersmom Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 3:41am by tannersmom

tannersmom Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:01am
post #1 of 15

I was wondering if anyone has made a keylime wedding cake before? Did it hold up good? Was the cake sturdy and moist? I have a request for one but I've never made one. Any info and recipe that you have would be great and much needed.

Thanks
Stephanie

14 replies
prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 15

I would find a good lemon cake recipe and then sub keylime juice and lime zest (use reg. limes for this, keylimes are really hard to zest) for the lemon in the cake.

tannersmom Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 15

Thanks for the reply!
I was thinking the same thing but I wasn't sure how it would hold up for a wedding cake. Do you think it will be to moist? I haven't had much luck with lemon.

Thanks again
Stephanie

prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 15

Have you tried doing a pound cake? Here's a great citrus pound cake recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Citrus-Pound-Cake-241214 just sup key lime juice for the orange and lemon juices and lime zest for the orange and lemon zests. You may need to expirement with the amount of juice and zest a bit to get the right flavor intensity.

paolacaracas Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 15

OR...you can use your regular vanilla cake with some lemon zest, and add some limoncello liquor to the syrop. syrop will keep your cake moist.

FullHouse Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 15

Dorie Greenspan's Perfect Party Cake is a lemon white cake that everyone I've made it for loved and it is study enough to cover in fondant and stack tiers (it is the cake I used in my Avatar). You can google and find the recipe, then just substitute with limes, now I have a new flavor to try too icon_smile.gif.

tannersmom Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:56am
post #7 of 15

Thanks!
I'm gonna practice on this one over the weekend.

Stephanie

todolomio Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 5:49pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCmomof3boys

Dorie Greenspan's Perfect Party Cake is a lemon white cake that everyone I've made it for loved and it is study enough to cover in fondant and stack tiers (it is the cake I used in my Avatar). You can google and find the recipe, then just substitute with limes, now I have a new flavor to try too icon_smile.gif.

True I love this cake!!!

FullHouse Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:43am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by todolomio

True I love this cake!!!

I haven't made any recipe from her recent cookbook yet that I didn't like. The Devil's Food is outrageous if you are looking for a rich chocolate cake. That one also holds up to fondant well.

tannersmom Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:40am
post #10 of 15

I don't mean so sound dumb but, does she have any books out? I'd love to get one. The cakes sound delicious.

Stephanie

SugaredUp Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:54am
post #11 of 15

My wedding cake was key lime. I BELIEVE (and I'm not sure because it was part of a package, so I didn't really get to pick it) that it was white cake with key lime butter cream and a lime simple syrup on the cake. It was super moist and SSOOOOO yummy.

MacsMom Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:55am
post #12 of 15

Key Lime (A variation of the WASC recipe)
2 pkgs white cake mix
2 c flour
2 c sugar
1 small pkg cheesecake pudding mix, dry
3 (6oz) containers key lime yogurt
8 egg whites
2 2/3 c limeade
2 t vanilla
½ t coconut extract
1 dram LoRann Key Lime

sayhellojana Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:02am
post #13 of 15

for lemon cake, I make Serious_Cake's yellow cake recipe (its very white in color) and add 1tsp lemon extract and the zest of two whole lemons. It's very moist but hold up to fondant too.

mommarivera Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:11am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Key Lime (A variation of the WASC recipe)
2 pkgs white cake mix
2 c flour
2 c sugar
1 small pkg cheesecake pudding mix, dry
3 (6oz) containers key lime yogurt
8 egg whites
2 2/3 c limeade
2 t vanilla
½ t coconut extract
1 dram LoRann Key Lime

Thanks for the recipe!!

tannersmom Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:41am
post #15 of 15

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I just finished baking a key lime cake III cake. I got the recipe from allrecipes.com. I'll let you know how it taste, tomorrow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%