3D Cake Question??

Baking By jeepgirl9478 Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 2:15am by prterrell

jeepgirl9478 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 4

I want to make my daughter a pillow cake for her first birthday but she is allergic to milk and has not had eggs yet. I know most 3D cake mixes have sourcream in them. Is there a different cake recipe I could use that would be strong enough to make a pillow cake? I can use soy milk in place regular milk but I don't know what to do about the sourcream or eggs? I am really not worried about how great the cake tastes since it is just my daughters smash cake that only she will eat. Thanks for any help or tips I get!!

3 replies
prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 4

Is there any reason you suspect that she is allergic to eggs? I'd be a lot easier to find a recipe that doesn't use dairy than to find one that doesn't use dairy or eggs.

jeepgirl9478 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 4

she is anaphylaxtic to milk and because of that she has about a 50% chance of being allergic to eggs. We just havn't taken that risk yet. We may try her on some eggs before her first birthday (march 3rd ) so if you have a just dairy free recipe please post it anyway! Thanks for the help.

prterrell Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:15am
post #4 of 4

Wow! I didn't know that. That's interesting considering eggs and dairy come from two completely different animals.

The first dairy-free cake that comes to mind is an angel food cake. Also, sponge and chiffon type cakes generally do not include any dairy.

Here is a recipe from epicurious.com for a basic chiffon cake:

1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
5 large eggs, separated
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel

Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray two 10-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides with PAM w/ flour or Baker's Joy. Sift flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt into large bowl. Using electric mixer, beat 1/2 cup lukewarm water into dry ingredients; beat in oil, egg yolks, both extracts, and peel. Using clean dry beaters, beat whites in medium bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff but not dry. Fold whites into batter in 3 additions. Divide batter between pans.

Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes- 30 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on racks 10 minutes. Cut around cakes and turn out onto racks; cool completely.

Here are 2 recipes without eggs or dairy:

I have not made any of these recipes, so I cannot comment on whether or not they'll work for the pillow cake, but they might be handy to have around for later use.

I did find a recipe for egg-less pound cake (uses silken tofu in place of the eggs)
You could try subbing shortening for the butter.

Sorry I can't provide a guarranteed recipe, but hopefully with some expirementing, at least one of these will work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%