Why Do I All The Difficult Ones? Help!

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 7:30pm by sweetneice

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 26

Hey guys! I have yet another difficult tasting! This guy seems very high strung! Normally I do my tastings with 3 flavors and I do them with cupcakes so that each person has their own and they don't have to use forks, etc, just easier. The cake is still the same no matter what! I fill them if it's requested and everything. THIS GUY SAYS NO! I want a cake and I want it decorated so I can check for consistency. I'm overanalytical about things, so I just want to see the sides and all to make sure it flows right. And what's in fondant? He kept cutting me off and then wants to know if I use tree nuts in my products because he's allergic to it. He wants a chocolate on chocolate cake. UGHHHHHH! Why do I seem to get all the difficult people! Anyway, how can I make this without choking the guy up on tree nut materials! I use duncan hines as a base cake mix. Will I have to change it? Help me guys!

25 replies
MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 26

So he's got you baking and decorating a cake for him for free is the hope that you MIGHT be good enough for him to pay you for another cake at some point in the future?

I hope I'm misunderstanding the situation, because what I'm understanding smells bad.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 26

I'll let someone else answer the nut question, but I'll go for the tasting question. If he wants a cake for the tasting, he pays for a cake for the tasting. If you are taking your time and talent to actually fill and decorate a cake, he should NOT get it for free because it is a "tasting."

Oh, Wait! I know how to get rid of this guy. Tell him that right before his event, you've been booked for a peanut butter filled peanut butter and almond cake, sprinkled with pecans and walnuts. icon_razz.gif Mention that you hope you don't accidently mix up the cakes. icon_twisted.gif That will scare him away for sure! Sometimes difficult people aren't worth the money they pay you!

MJ2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJ2008 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 26

I'm not sure about Duncan Hines. I guess you'd have to check the box to be sure. I do agree with a previous poster that if he's going to ask for a fully decorated cake, then he should pay for it. If he already knows he wants chocolate on chocolate you could just make him a little four inch cake, but he should still be paying your usual price for that size cake.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 26

IMO this guy is a MAJOR PITA, I would say here are photos that demonstrate my quality of work and I will make you a chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting for you to taste to see if you like it. I agree with the PP's you should not be baking him a test cake for free.

Duncan Hines does not have tree nuts in it. BUT a lot of chocolates are made in facilities that process other items that contain nuts, Hershey's is tha only co. that I know of that has chocolate chips that are nut free and bakers chocolate is nut free. Check all others though, I know gardellhi (sp?) is not nut free.

sweetneice Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 26

PITA CORRECT! SpringFlour you're a riot! Maybe I'll use that! LOL!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 26

Have you read the DH box? I thought it said on there it was produced in a plant where nuts were used.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:40pm
post #8 of 26

Hmmm....honestly, if it were me, I'd be "booked" the weekend he wants the cake.

And absolutely charge him for the "tasting" cake...in all honesty it sounds to me like he just wants to get a free cake.

sweetneice Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:48pm
post #9 of 26

He was refered to me by a photographer that knows my work. Maybe she was having a bad day! He is definitely going to have to be put in check! You should have heard him asking me what I use in my buttercream! I said nothing that has tree nuts in it! I'm not giving my recipe away! He says well I understand that but what's in it. I said sir the basic things used in an icing recipe minus your tree nut materials. He then shut up! He said where are you located? I said I am a commercial home bakery and prefer not to give out my address due to safety issues. Its nothing personal and I explain this to all my clients, but I will meet you at Panera bread as I do all my clients and bring the cake there. He said well, Im certainly not going to hurt you in anyway, I'm not that kind of guy. (What serial killer would tell you otherwise!Lol, just joking) I said as a precaution I just don't let people in my home. So either we can meet at Panera or another location. WACKO, I hope he finds someone else! I thought I could use the order, but it's not worth all this mess!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:25pm
post #10 of 26

I don't think this guys $$ would be worth his order. Just thinking...I've never once had a man call me to do a tasting. And if THIS guy called me...well....suddenly I only use hazelnut flavoring in all my bc. How's that?? icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:57pm
post #11 of 26

dont' you just want to grab this bride by the ear and say "RUN!!!!!!!!" What a control freak! And this is the time period when they're still being nice to each other! icon_eek.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:08am
post #12 of 26

I have the mini pans and when I have extra batter, I make mini cakes 4" in diameter and make three little cakes with a couple buttercream roses, leaves and a rosette style border. Paper plates and plastic forks on hand.

I also have a photo album of the various cakes I made so the can check for "consistency."

I agree with cupcakemkr, this joker sounds like a real PITA. I've been very lucky. My brides have all been lovely and the grooms very quiet (the will make good husbands). icon_wink.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:14am
post #13 of 26

I simply say, this is my tasting if you want a special order to try the cake you can order a 6 inch cake for $10 or 15 dollars.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

sweetneice Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:19am
post #14 of 26

Indydebi you are a mess! Gotta love ya! Thanks Eisskween for the suggestion. I just had a bride call me for a tasting the same day, so I will use that as a reason not to take up so much time with him! This is the 2nd groom I've had call me! The first one was just doing the scheduling because his fiance was busy with work but wanted to speak to me. He actually was pretty sweet, but was NOTHING like the quack!
I can just see him sitting at a desk with his glasses on, plaid pants, pen and paper, with a coffee cup full of hot coffee I hope spills in his lap, asking me all kinds of ridiculous questions, while his poor fiance just looks on! Lol,Oh, Get this..When I asked smarty pants about what type of design he was looking for, he goes OH....I don't know she's gonna pick that, I'm just making the appointment! What a jerk!

rockytop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockytop Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:37am
post #15 of 26

If this guy is this controlling at the taste testing imagine how he is going to be once the cake is done. During this tough times we try get as much as we can but I dont think he is worth the HEADACHE..

sweetneice Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:47am
post #16 of 26

I agree. Since it's already scheduled, I hope he cancels or finds someone else. All the rest of my b/g have been extremely pleasant and easy to work with, guess you get a least one or two wackos here and there! Anybody ever dealt with a client this difficult? Please share, maybe I'll learn something from the more seasoned on this topic! Lol

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:57am
post #17 of 26

"I don't believe that I can meet your needs. Thank you for contacting me." HANG UP AND RUN.

Trust me. I've been doing this a long time and after a while you can hear between the lines the ones that are more trouble than they're worth. I've already cut one loose this year for a groom that was a PITA.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:05am
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetneice

SpringFlour you're a riot! Maybe I'll use that! LOL!

Agree - that's too funny for words! Or tell him he's the nut and you're allergic to them so you can't help him. And I agree - RUN!

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:05am
post #19 of 26

I have to add. This is the guy that will nit-pick your cake once it's delivered looking for a flaw that he can call and harangue you for a full refund because it was flawed. Heck double your price - hopefully that will scare him away - the PITA surcharge...

LOL

Judi

sweetneice Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:51am
post #20 of 26

Juds, You confirmed just what I was thinking! He'll look at everything very closely and one thing that is not to his liking may provoke him to say something stupid of complain and want a refund! No need! He's gotta go!

sweetneice Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:54am
post #21 of 26

Leahs, You couldnt have said it better! At least I'm not thats had someone like this!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:48am
post #22 of 26

I would call him back and tell him that after some additional thought that you will not be able to provide him with a tasting or future order. When he asks why just explain that you can not promise him that any of your ingredients have not come in contact with tree nuts. Also if you have used nuts in your kitchen, from my understanding, there can still be traces of them lingering around your equipment. Assure him it is his safety you are thinking about and wish him luck finding a bakery in the area that can supply him with what he needs.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:02am
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

"I don't believe that I can meet your needs. Thank you for contacting me." HANG UP AND RUN.

Trust me. I've been doing this a long time and after a while you can hear between the lines the ones that are more trouble than they're worth. I've already cut one loose this year for a groom that was a PITA.

I say better..I can meet your needs... I just dont want too!... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sweetneice Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:04am
post #24 of 26

Right on tonedna!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:01pm
post #25 of 26

I wouldn't do it.
"I'm sorry, but someone who is allergic to nuts needs to go somewhere that does not use nuts at all. Those oils can get on everything, and can be very dangerous depending on how allergic the person is."

It's CYA time.

sweetneice Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:30pm
post #26 of 26

Good escape for me! The crazy thing is I use pecans, and all kinds of nuts, especially things like pure almond oil etc. Although he's a quack I really don't wanna kill the guy. It makes me nervous to even think that one trace of my nuts could send me into court on his behalf. Not worth it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%