Fondant Painting

Decorating By ckcakes Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 4:07am by ckcakes

ckcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckcakes Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this website and addicted already! I have a question. I'm making a wine-bottle-in-a-crate cake and need to paint the fondant on the crate to look like wood. I plan to use a gel food coloring and vodka for this but here's my question (and I hope it doesn't stupid): Will painting with vodka be an issue (ie. cause a buzz) for the children and other non-drinkers who will be eating the cake? -Cheryl

8 replies
TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 9

No it should not when thining your paint your not going to use a whole bottle of voka. just enough to create a paste if you are using gell colors I would stay away from thining and just use a soft cloth dipped in your gel color in your voka . More like a staining process.

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 9

I have done this beofr and it takes very little vodka to dilute the color. Definitely not enough to cause a buzz. The alcohol in that tiny bit evaporates quickly too. But if you ave people who may be offended or concerned then you could use a little lemon or vanilla extract instead.

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 9

Just an FYI on this topic. Vanilla extract has as similar amounts of alcohol as vodka.

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 9

If you're worried about the alcohol content, you can use just plain water. You won't need a ton and if you're using a "staining" method, you won't need to go back over it multiple times. I generally use vodka if I'm working with dusts and metallics, but I "paint" with my gel colors all the time, using just plain, free, water.

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 9

Good to know about the water. We are non drinkers and I hate to buy vodka just to make cakes!

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthwife

We are non drinkers and I hate to buy vodka just to make cakes!

icon_redface.gif I know what you mean... I just know that my pastor is going to see me running into the local liquor store and coming out with my big bag of vodka!! There are certain things it's just better for, and I tried using lemon extract and the smell just about made me gag -- it was just way too strong and changed the taste too much.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:21am
post #8 of 9

Yes, the alcohol will evaporate and leave the concentrated lemon oil behind, therefore making the flavor pronounced. I just bought a bottle of Everclear to use for caking and my DH about had a heart attack; he said, "You can't put that on a cake, people put that in their CARS!" icon_biggrin.gif

ckcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckcakes Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:07am
post #9 of 9

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you everyone!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%