Make My Fondant Look Like Wood?

Decorating By countrygirlz Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 3:42pm by countrygirlz

countrygirlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrygirlz Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 6

I have been trying to give my fondant the wood affect but just can't get it? does any one have any suggestions or tips??

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 6

I have an impression roller that makes the wood grain in my fondant.If you can't get ahold of a impression mat try using your cutting tool/roller and score the lines lenghthwise to create grains.Make a little knot hole etc and follow the grain around the hole.a sharp knife works also.

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 6

Depending on the look you're going for and how much time you want to put into it, there are a few different ways to do it. Quick way would be to marble your fondant with 2 shades of brown. Make sure when kneading in the color that you only pull it and fold it in one direction (or it will look marbled instead of having a "grain" to it).

Another way is to have a light shade of brown fondant to start with. Then using brown paste color and some water and about a 1" good paintbrush. Paint the watered down gel color over your entire board. until it's all wet. Let it sit for just a minute or two until it's "tacky" then go back with your brush and making long strokes, go back and forth over your slat of wood. This will pull your color and give it a "grain" effect. (This is a good method to practice on a small piece to see if it's the look you want to go with.)

You could also buy a wood grain roller from someplace like Home Depot or Lowes and roll on your texture using paste color like paint.

You can also just hand-paint the texture with a small brush.

I'm going to see if I can attach a few photos to show as examples of each. (My problem is I can usually only figure out how to attach one pic at a time...)
LL

countrygirlz Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 6

thank you very much both of you! I'm going to have to try both ways! thanks again icon_smile.gif

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:11am
post #5 of 6

I ordered a cool little wood grain roller from Global Sugar Art.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=19999

I used it for my Treasure Chest cake.

Jodie

countrygirlz Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 6

thank you, do I need to order online? or are there stores? I haven't used satin ice fondant and would like to try a different fondant.......something that taste good icon_smile.gif but I wasn't sure if I could purchase it in any stores?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%