This Maybe A No-No, But I Had To Ask...

Decorating By mandifrye Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 4:14pm by mandifrye

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 19

about some instructions listed in Debbie Brown's 50 Easy Pary Cakes issue. I have seen these type questions before, and I wasn't even sure how to feel about them, but I am reaching point of desperation. icon_eek.gif

I am working with a child care center (through my consultant business) and hosting an open house for marketing purposes. The Owner has asked me to make a cake for this event (paying for it of course). Since the name of the center is Noah's Ark, she fell in love with Debbie's Noah's Ark cake. I am not a visual sculptor, so I need you guys' help. I have gone to the local book stores (Books A Million and such), and even tried the Library to find no book. If I order it online, it won't reach me in time to get it to the event. icon_sad.gif

So, please HELP! Could someone PM me or add in this post the instructions? They can be scanned or summerized, I just need some guidlines to go by. As far as the animals, the intructions aren't needed, I know I can scuplt those for her, but the Ark construction, roof and extras, I am stumped. icon_confused.gif

I am on my knees begging for help from my fellow CCer's. icon_cry.gif

Thank you in advance, Mandi icon_biggrin.gif

18 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 19

Have you checked amazon they sometimes have previews of the book and you might be able to see and read most of the instructions.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 19

I don't have the book, I wish I did I would def. pm you instructions. I am a somewhat visual learner and this is how I see it...
So, I am looking at this cake and I see an oval base (2 - 8x2" rounds carved) covered in strips of wood grained fondant. the cabin of the ark is a small square cake (looks to be 2-4x2") again covered in wood grained fondant, you may be able to use scraps from the carving of the oval (unless you have oval pans) to make the roof which is covered with two rectangles of yellow fondant that is scored to looked thached.

http://makemestudio.blogspot.com/2008/09/noahs-ark-cake.html

I hope this helps a little and that someone with the instructions or that has made it can help you more. I've seen it in the galleries, maybe you can pm someone for instructions?

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 19

Hey, I have that book. Let me look thru it and I'll get right back with you.

mysweetconfetions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweetconfetions Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 19

I have the book right here. If you would like me to PM you the info you need, let me know.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 19

I have that (and many others!) scanned into my computer already for another member. If you pm me your email address, I'll send them to you :0)!

cupcakemkr Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 19

Yeah for Mandifrye! Such helpful people here, you are all great!

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 19

It doesn't look to difficult. The base of the ark is oval shaped cakes, stack 2 high. The top of the boat is square and carved to make the arch shape.
Then the brown fondant striped are used to cover the boat. The yellow roof is a piece of fondant and a knife was used to create the straw effect...
And then all those animals are put in place.
The material list says a 1x1.5 = (7 1/2 cup) litre oval cake
The square pan size is 8in square...cut into 4 equal sizes...and stacked on top and carved to crate to sloping roof....

Hope this helps...

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 19

If you go to this link it gives you some info on how to do lindy smiths Noah's Ark cake. HTH
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0715316826/ref=sib_dp_ptu#reader-link

and here is a little bit from debbie browns book
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1853918555/ref=sib_dp_ptu#reader-link

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 19

I know several CCers have already offered to PM it to you but the previous suggestion (and nickshalfpints links) are great for future projects...that is, trying to use the preview function of amazon. All you need to do in this cake is type the word Noah into the search box and you get a choice of like...4-5 pages. Read the brief descriptions of the pages and you'll know which one to click. I just found the cake instantly! You can take a screen grab of the page in order to print it out. And then use the > to go forwards (or < for backwards) in the preview, to see more pages. Just be careful, it usually only allows you to see a total of about 6 pages before telling you you cannot preview any more.

Just for future reference icon_smile.gif!!

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:40pm
post #12 of 19

great to know ceshell! can you tell me how to do a screen grab? I run ms office. thanks!

mandifrye Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:43pm
post #13 of 19

I have not been getting email notifications icon_sad.gif ! I had no idea that some many "friends" have offered help. As for the links - thank you so much, great for future cakes. Ceshell - I tried that, but sometimes my brain doesnt function correctly, so I WILL try again. In the meantime, I have PMed for instructions from those who offered. Sorry for the late response and I thank each of you for taking the time to post!

Wonderful community, I just hope that I have helped someone who needed it in the past, because I want to make sure I deserve this outpouring of help. I will continue to pass the buck!

You CCer's are life savers, you each deserve a medal (not metal, duh)mine!

Thanks again everyone!

Revised for stupid grammatical error!

ceshell Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:48am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

great to know ceshell! can you tell me how to do a screen grab? I run ms office. thanks!

It's pretty simple if you are on a PC: You just make sure the screen shows precisely what you want, and you hit alt+print scr at the same time. This takes a snapshot of your screen and saves it to your clipboard. Then you can go into whatever program you would like (even Word) and Paste the photo in there. You can scale the photo to the right size from there.

I paste mine into Photoshop so that I can crop out the rest of the screen and also enlarge the details as needed. Note that the pic won't print out pristinely because it is Web resolution, not print resolution, but it helps when you are just trying to get the gist of something.

ps Mandifrye, I have noticed that when I start a thread, it doesn't automatically make me "Watch" it so I have to go back into my own post an click "Watch This Topic"...probably yet another CC bug but I forget about it and, like you, am unaware of responses to my posts all the time. icon_rolleyes.gif

mandifrye Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:43am
post #15 of 19

That makes since Ceshell, especially since I posted to this thread again, and whatdaknow, an email notification of response. I will keep that one in mind for future posts. Mostly, I just read and respond to others, but occassionally I can't find an answer I need and have to start my own thread. That is nice information to know. Maybe we ought to talk to Jackie about putting a sticky thread pertaining to just that issue. If you and I have experienced it, I am sure other CC members have too. (Just a thought!) Bugs are crazy, but hopefully everybody understands that someone may not be being ungrateful or rude, just unaware!

Thanks so much you guys - I just love CC!

Oh, and Ceshell, you have been providing great info on SMBC thread too. I see your responses a lot (on many threads) and you are always polite, fast and helpful. So, for all of us with frequent and maybe beginner questions - a BIG, HUGE, ENORMOUS, thank you to a FABULOUS fellow member.

ceshell Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:51am
post #16 of 19

icon_redface.gificon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:52pm
post #17 of 19

The needing to click on the 'watch this topic' when you start a thread has been here since I started. It's hard to remember to do it.
Glad you received responses anyway.

Terri05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terri05 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 6:07am
post #18 of 19

The fondant books, cake books, gumpaste, etc. are available through your local library system. I have yet to purchase a book that I haven't previewed through my local library. Good luck.

mandifrye Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:14pm
post #19 of 19

Terrie - I have tried that with this particular one. Of course, that would be the book that is checked out in my local library AND the one 50 miles outside of my city. icon_eek.gif That is just my luck usually. icon_rolleyes.gif However, thanks to my wonderful CC friends, I am all set to start baking TODAY! I just love you guys.

Thanks again - Mandi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%