Can You Sub White Choc For Reg Choc In A Cake?

Decorating By ZAKIA6 Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 6:09am by FlourPots

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 5

I love my chocolate cake (both flavor and texture). I want to try a white chocolate cake.
can i sub the cocoa powder for white choc powder?
is there such a thing as white choc powder.
i saw this online and was thinking to try it

http://flowers-gourmet.pricegrabber.com/chocolates/m/97332504/search=ghirardelli/st=product/sv=title/

4 replies
lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 5

I haven't used the powder but I use the ghiradellis white chocolate baking bars all the time! For my white chocolate cake, I use the WASC recipe using all vanilla and I melt 4 of the baking bars, thats 16oz to the mix. Love it! Actually just made it for my baby shower this weekend.

On a side note, try it with seedless raspberry jam, i add a bit of chambord to it and its amazing.

For me its alot of trial and error. I say try but I have found that you need more white chocolate then regular chocolate to get the proper flavor!

Good luck. Hope this helps.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 5

I haven't tried it myself but I've read where some substitute (I think it was pudding mix) but I'm not sure in the WASC with white chocolate to make it more durable for sculpting. They said it stays moist and is very dense for sculpting. Unfortunately I can't recall which thread had that advice in it. icon_cry.gif Anyway, the chocolate whisper cake from the cake bible is supposed to be to die for! icon_biggrin.gif

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 5

thanks.
ive heard good things about the white whisper cake too, but i have not been having much success with butter based cakes recently.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 6:09am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindambc

I haven't used the powder but I use the ghiradellis white chocolate baking bars all the time! For my white chocolate cake, I use the WASC recipe using all vanilla and I melt 4 of the baking bars, thats 16oz to the mix. Love it!

Would that be 4 bars added to 2 boxes of cake mix? Besides omitting the almond, any other changes to the other ingredients?

This sounds really good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%