Mixed Shape Wedding Cake

Decorating By deetmar Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 2:31pm by deetmar

deetmar Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 8

I have been hired to do my first mixed shape wedding cake and have no idea on how to do it. It will be a five tiered cake with round and square tiers alternating. Can someone please give me adivce? I was thinking of useing the SPS System, but didn't know if it would work.

It needs to feed 250 people so what sizes should I use?

Thank you.

7 replies
indydebi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 8

You will have to watch the sizes when you stack a square on top of a round.

for example, if you are doing a 8/10/12 that is round/square/round. A 10" square cake is 10" from side to side ... but it is 14" from corner to corner. So a 10" square cake wont' fit on top of a 12" round cake because the corners will overhang. A 10" square will be a tight fit even on a 14" round ... barely (if any) room for borders.

So stack your pans on top of each other to see what actually fits.

kakeladi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 8

Indydebi said:.......stack your pans on top of each other to see what actually fits..........

Definitely! It will help you determine exactly which conbination will look right and give you enough servings.
You should get the most if you go sq, round, sq, round, round.

deetmar Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:22am
post #4 of 8

Thank you so much, IndyDeb has been wonderful. I really want to get this right.

tonedna Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:27am
post #5 of 8

Another thing you have to watch is wich shape you are going to satck on top of what. Hexagons and petals dont look as good on top of squares.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

mareg Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:49am
post #6 of 8

I did one with a square, hexagon, and round. The bride and groom loved it. Its in my pictures.

tonedna Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:04am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareg

I did one with a square, hexagon, and round. The bride and groom loved it. Its in my pictures.

Like that looks great. My bride wanted the square on top of the hexagon..

deetmar Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the input, I will have to see if they would like a hexagon, I think it is a really nice look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%