Need Help W/ A Number On A Cake.........

Decorating By shell62995 Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 5:27pm by stlcakelady

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 5

Have another question! Might sound silly but I'm having one of those days so I keep second questioning myself! UGH! Anywho......
I'm making a b.day cake for a couple w/ the popular hugs and stitches theme. They couldnt really agree on the big "one" that goes on top. She loved it. He hated it. So I said I would make one not as big as the ones they had seen. So I'm thinking 6 inches tall and 4.5 wide at the widest point (the bottom). How can I made sure it will stand on the cake? I'm making it from fondant. Should I make it w/ a spike on the bottom and have them place it on top when the set it up for the party? Any suggestions? TIA!

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 5

I would definitely put it on a stick of some sort and also have them add it at the party! You may be better off using gumpaste or chocolate or a mix of gumpaste/fondant so that it dries much firmer!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 5

A 6"er seems rather large to me. I would scale it down even a bit more.
I agree w/kHalstead icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 5

just wanted to add that I just did a pink and green polka dotted cake w/ chocolate numbers on top if you wanna take a look and see how the chocolate looks......I made the numbers and then let them harden for a couple min. in the freezer, then flipped them over and attached a skewer to the back with melted chocolate...they were very quick and easy!

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 5

Are you flattening the fondant and cutting it out or is it rolled into a number? I use gumpaste and roll it out thin, then put a template over it and cut out the number with an exacto knife...however, at the bottom of the number, I also cut down about 4" x 2" wide as if to make a handle for the number...does that make sense? Then I slide a knife in the cake to make space for it and slide it in that spot. This way I don't break the number as I try to shove it in the cake. I don't use fondant unless I add tylose to stiffen it up, but I find that gumpaste is easier, dries faster and I don't have to worry about it's strength.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%