Any Tips For Putting A Bow Topper On A 3 Tier Cake?

Decorating By Marniela Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 4:16am by baycheeks1

Marniela Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 7

I am making my first 3 tiered cake and am planning on putting a looped bow topper on the top of the third tier. The more that I think about it, I am wondering if I will run into problems trying to push the bows into the cake with the dowel in the center. Does anyone have any advice for me... or will this even be a problem?? Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

6 replies
kilikina_24 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 7

Are you making a fondant bow or is it real ribbon? I made a looped bow topper for a 2 tier cake with fondant and didn't need to stick anything in the cake to place it on top. I had some help from a lady here on CC. I made to loops a couple days before I made the cake and let them dry. Then I simply used dots of buttercream to secure them to the cake. I think there are some directions somewhere here on CC. It looks so pretty when it's done!

tperks Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 7

When I make a fondant loopy bow, I send it separate, and just tell the person to set it on top when they put it on the table. I even ask my friends to return the bow, so I can use it again. I have a few that I've used several times. It's not like anyone is going to eat it ?? I just store it in a zip lock or some place protected.

Callyssa Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:17am
post #4 of 7

I don't know, on my fall leaves cake the bow was the first thing gone, and it was gumpaste, no less! GAG! I just dolloped icing on top and stuck the bow in the icing to hold it. Unfortunately I'm one of those who does first, and asks questions later! I will say I'd be nervous letting anyone else put the bows on; I almost broke it myself trying to get it 'just right'. Maybe build it on a circle of fondant or gumpaste first so it transfers easier (I saw that in a how to on making loopy bows). Good luck!

tperks Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:42am
post #5 of 7

I forgot to add that I do make it on a circle of fondant and I glue everything together with chocolate. Usually I am there when a cake is being served so I do it, but I have had others just set it on top and take it off when it's served.

sweetcakes Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:11am
post #6 of 7

put the dowel in first, cut it shorter then the 3 tiers nd push it so it is in the cake, then put your bow ontop. just tell the person who picks it up that all 3 tiers are held together with a long center dowel.

baycheeks1 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:16am
post #7 of 7

Do not push the bow in the cake, it should sit on top of the cake. When making the bow it can be fondant, gumpaste or a mix...I like the mix, but it is a lot of mixing. After your loops are dried, you can use buttercream or royal icing to hold it together. I use royal icing. If you put a big dollup in the middle of the cake and arrange the bow pieces how ever you want them. As you put the peices in, you can add more BC or RI to help hold the loops in place. Once you do the first one, its not difficult at all, you will be like ohh...this is what I was worried about?

If you look in my pictures, I have several cakes that have bows on top of them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%