Princess Castle Cake Help

Decorating By mndy204 Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 3:29am by mndy204

mndy204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mndy204 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 18

My darling baby girl is turning 5 in Feb. and wants a castle cake. I am not only overwhelmed with what to do, but also extremely intimidated with this whole idea of making her a castle cake. I feel I've waited way too long to start fondant towers (her birthday party will be Feb 1st) and I'm worried about just plain failing at it.

I've searched and searched the galleries for awesome castles and have found tons!! Now I feel like I could never do them justice. icon_redface.gif

Do you have any ideas for a semi-new, but always up for a challenge decorator wanting to make her baby girl happy?

She also wants strawberry cake, any filling flavor combinations you all have tried that just wow everyone?

Any and all suggestion are soo helpful!! Thank you in advance!!

17 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 18

Here is my tutorial...HTH! thumbs_up.gif

http://www.cakeboss.com/CastleTutorial.aspx

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 18

I've been keeping a few in my favorites for my daughters as well, there are some simple ones that I am sure you can pull off. Seeing as there are at least 2 tiers you can do different flavors, my favorite is lemon cake with blueberry filling and a creamcheese frosting. Strawberry cake with a chreamcheese frosting is also really good. you could do a white cake with strawberry filling and a chocolate cake with a raspberry filling then cover both in a vanilla buttercream. Here are a couple of my favorites that seem simple enough:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=7181

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1217535

I think that the important thing is to have fun and that will show through in your cake. No matter what type of castle you put together your daughter will love it I am sure!

SweetRocky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetRocky Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 18

Strawberry with cream cheese BC is what I was going to say also. Making Lemon cake and flavoring the BC with lemon juice is VERY tasty too. If you want to try strawberry cake with strawberry filling just add some strawberry preserves to your BC for the icing that will serve as the filling. A tasty AND quick way to make a filling. I have a castle cake on my gallery. If there is something about it you want to pull from feel free to PM me. I want to point out I was also a newbie at that time so you can do it! The fondant on top of my ice cream cone towers were made the night before because I have them resting on card stock paper- the only part that was not edible. It isn't too late, you just might slightly alter what you had in mind! Good luck. Let me know when you post it!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 18

Wow, cake boss your tutorial is really great. That looks like so much fun.
I know it's not near as cool as all edible but the Castle Kit by Wilton can save you a lot of time and effort and if you get the 40% Coupon for Hobby Lobby or Michael's I think it's worth the investment.

The tip that was given to me by Cami was that you should hollow out the bottoms of the turrets you intend to put on top the cake. You just drill them out. Then "glue" a dowel rod to the inside of the turret with royal icing. This really adds to the stability of the turrets.

I have never done a full castle cake. Here is a link to a psuedo castle I did using part of the castle kit.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2736083580049467458QbojVX

I'm a newbie and just found this to be a simpler undertaking then the full castle cake. (Concept was inspired by another cake decorator who changed up one of the Wilton yearbook designs)

cupcakemkr Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 18

Great instructions Kelly! Thanks so much for sharing thumbs_up.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

Here is my tutorial...HTH! thumbs_up.gif

http://www.cakeboss.com/CastleTutorial.aspx

I don't mean to butt-in but just want to say thank youuuu Kellym, wow your tutorial is awesome!!! I wish I'd seen it before I did a castle cake last year...that cake was a disaster so, I never brought it here. I attempted to use the Wilton kit and I found it very difficult provided that I'm NOT an experienced baker. So, I've never try to make another castle again, but with your instructions it seems sooo easy ?Coupon=CC2015"thumbs_up.gif"thumbs_up.gif

mndy204 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:21am
post #8 of 18

Thank you all so much for the great replies!! My Wilton cake instructor is going to let me borrow her Wilton castle turret things so it doesn't seem so overwhelming now. I am really excited to try the cake flavors you all mentioned too! I'm really thinking about trying that lemon with blueberry filling combo too!

I think I just make things too hard and get overwhelmed with wanting to do a good job, but I agree I think if I have fun and put full effort into it she'll love it no matter what.

Thank you all again, I'll post pictures after I make the cake and let you know what flavors I did. thumbs_up.gif

mndy204 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:25am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

my favorite is lemon cake with blueberry filling and a creamcheese frosting

Can you let me know how you do the blueberry filling and the lemon cake? Do you have a recipe or is it on here? You are welcome to pm me if you want to, I just thought I'd ask since it's your favorite and all and it sounds awesome!!! icon_smile.gif

cupcakemkr Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:00pm
post #10 of 18

sure, give me a moment to pull it out.

cupcakemkr Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:23pm
post #11 of 18

2 C fresh or frozen blueberries
1 C of sugar ( I prefer 3/4C)
1/4C water
1t lemon juice
1/4 C cornstarch
3 T water

in a sauce pan combine the blueberries, sugar, 1/4c water and lemon juice and boil until blueberries are soft, seperately combine the 3T water and corn starch and then add to the bluberries stir until thickened remove from heat, let cool completely before use.

mndy204 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:20pm
post #12 of 18

Thank you so much for that recipe! I'm looking forward to trying it! I'm at a point where I want to try flavors together I just don't know what works and what doesn't or what compliments which flavors. I guess it's trial and error, but it's also nice to hear from others what truly works!

mndy204 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:37am
post #13 of 18
Quote:

1/4C water
1t lemon juice
1/4 C cornstarch
3 T water

in a sauce pan combine the blueberries, sugar, 1/4c water and lemon juice and boil until blueberries are soft, seperately combine the 3T water and corn starch and then add to the bluberries stir until thickened remove from heat, let cool completely before use.

cupcakemkr - I just wanted to let you know I made this recipe with lemon cake and it was awesome!!! Thank you very much for the idea and the recipe, I really appreciate it!

cupcakemkr Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:20pm
post #14 of 18

mndy204 - I am happy to have introduced you to a very yummy combo. Glad to hear you liked it!

Rosie2 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:52pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:

1/4C water
1t lemon juice
1/4 C cornstarch
3 T water

I also made this filling in a lemon cake and it was total hit with my family. When I did my blueberry filling I also added a layer of cream cheese (sweetened with whipped cream) hmmm, very delicious!!!
Thank you Cupcakemkr!!!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:34pm
post #16 of 18

Does this filling once in the cake need to be refrigerated?

Rosie2 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:49pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

I believe you don't have to, but I did because I added the cream cheese with whipped cream.

mndy204 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:29am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

I haven't refrigerated mine and it seems to be just fine, I have the filling as is, no cream cheese or anything (although that sounds really really good!!!) icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%