Serving Size And Price Question

Decorating By kayla1505 Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 3:30am by kayla1505

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 19

A friend of mine wants me to make these mini cake blocks. I figure I'll make each block 4x4 inches. Its 9 blocks so I'm guessing about 4 servings per block. So a total of 36 serving, does that sound right to you guys?

How much would you guys charge for this ?

It looks like alot of work, I would have to bake a sheet cake and cut out all of the pieces.
LL

18 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 19

I'd say approx 36 servings sounds right. I'd charge about $125-$150 because it will be a pain and time consuming.

There are 4" square pans out there, but unless you plan on doing this frequently, at $9 each you probably wouldn't want to invest the money in buying as many as you'd need to bake a full batch of mix all at once.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=536&SubCatId=986&productId=632575

kayla1505 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 19

Thank you so much for the help, I wanted to make sure I had the serving size right.

I think I'm gonna bake a sheet cake and and cut it out. I dont think I'll be making this to many times so I dont wanna buy all the pans

prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 19

You're welcome! icon_smile.gif Good luck and don't forget to post a pic of your finished cake(s)! I know it's gonna be awesome!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 19

Baby blocks are so deceptively time consuming and challenging.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=119019&hl=block

I think each 4" block will make 8 servings.

I would change $5- $6 a serving because on these you are only decorating two or three of five possible surfaces.

Here's an idea for you--just make one as a test and see how it does for you. If you can do it fast & easy, smile and have fun then charge low.

If after you do one, you see it as each one is a sculpture requiring as much expertise as any other sculpture then price higher.

They seem so simple.

Baby block thoughts for you.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I would change $5- $6 a serving because on these you are only decorating two or three of five possible surfaces.

Why do you say you only decorate 2 or 3 sides? to me it looks like ea block is totally decorated?

EDITED TO ADD oh ok, sorry didnt think about the the difference between iced and decorated icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif a bit of a blonde moment icon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 19

The sides that are facing eachother can be iced and left blank. Only the tops and the sides that show outward really need to have anything on them (besides icing) as they are the only ones you can really see. And k8memphis is right, you'll get 8 1x2x4 servings. I tend to count servings larger as my experience is that people tend to take larger servings than what the charts show (as a result, I charge more per serving, if that makes sense). So by my count, you get 4 2x2x4 servings. It really depends on how big you cut your servings.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

The sides that are facing eachother can be iced and left blank. Only the tops and the sides that show outward really need to have anything on them (besides icing) as they are the only ones you can really see. And k8memphis is right, you'll get 8 1x2x4 servings. I tend to count servings larger as my experience is that people tend to take larger servings than what the charts show (as a result, I charge more per serving, if that makes sense). So by my count, you get 4 2x2x4 servings. It really depends on how big you cut your servings.

Ok wait wait wait. At your quote of $150 and 36 servings (the larger ones) you are charging $4.10 per serving. You consider that more money to cover a larger serving? Well I guess if we charge like $3 for a wedding serving but those are half the size smaller--ooh help my brain is on fire. Can't do math. Aghhh...

I finally got my entire (book)store on Quickbooks all caught up yesterday and my brain is toast for numbers and cyphering as Jethro would say (from Beverly HillBilly's). Accounting is not my forte. grr

So anyway--all mathematics aside--here's my sage and never ending advice--

When in doubt, charge More, Kids and Fellow Cakers of The World,
the bakery you save could be your own.

kayla1505 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 9:28pm
post #9 of 19

8 servings from each 4x4x4 block? that seems like the size would be so small. I have serving size issues.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 10:53pm
post #10 of 19

8 cubic inches is a typical serving of cake. a 1x2x4 or a 2x2x2 is 8 cubic inches. a 4x4x4 cake will yield 8 servings.... 64 cubic inches per cake divided by 8 cubic inches is 8 servings....math person here...LOL!

kayla1505 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:41pm
post #11 of 19

uh i still dont get it, im really really bad at math icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:55pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla1505

8 servings from each 4x4x4 block? that seems like the size would be so small. I have serving size issues.

The good news is that square cakes are easy to "do the math". Let me see if I can help illustrate it.

The standard servings size is 1x2x4. Here is a pic of a 1x2x4 piece of cake .... a nice dessert size: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156785

To cut the 4x4x4" blocks into 1x2x4 inch pieces, you would cut the block in half (now you have two pieces of cake that are 4 inches tall, 4 inches long and 2 inches wide).

Cut each of those halves into 1" slices .... so you will cut each 2" wide rectangle into 4 slices.

Do that to both of them and you have 8 nice dessert-size slices of cake.

People hear "one inch" and they tend to think "paper thin". As you can see from the photo, it's not.

I cut my wedding cakes this size and FREQUENTLY have people ask me to cut them a smaller piece.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:00pm
post #13 of 19

Absolutely, a 4 X 4 block cake serves 8. No question. I charge $3 per serving, so each one of those little things is $24. And I use an 8" square pan. Each pan makes two blocks. Tha's another math thing. lol

And they are a total PITA, so if this isn't a gift, CHARGE.

kayla1505 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:18pm
post #14 of 19

Thank you indydebi I needed a visual picture. So I've been making all my cakes with the wrong serving sizes, I'm such a dork. On paper it looks so small, and I'm always worried there wont be enough cake (thats my nightmare). I have been useing Earlenes guide , but I guess thats to big.

Anyway it seems I'm not gonna make the cakes anymore. I told her $140 when I thought it was 36 servings and she decided her other friend is gonna take care of the cake.

I can just imagine what she would say if I told her they would feed 72 people and would cost around $215. lol

I dont know why everyone thinks I'll do stuff for free

kayla1505 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 6:30pm
post #15 of 19

so let me see if i have this math thing right , if i have a 8x11 thats 4 inches tall it would feed around 40 people right ?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:33pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla1505

so let me see if i have this math thing right , if i have a 8x11 thats 4 inches tall it would feed around 40 people right ?

thumbs_up.gif Yes .... You're ready for Final Jeopardy!!

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:53pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

8 cubic inches is a typical serving of cake. a 1x2x4 or a 2x2x2 is 8 cubic inches. a 4x4x4 cake will yield 8 servings.... 64 cubic inches per cake divided by 8 cubic inches is 8 servings....math person here...LOL!

thanks so much.. i was just trying to figure out this same scenario (different sized cake though) at work yesterday....none of the guys could figure it out icon_surprised.gif

can you apply this same formula to round cakes?

kayla1505 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:29am
post #18 of 19

aha i feel so smart now icon_wink.gif

kayla1505 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:30am
post #19 of 19

ZAKIA6 in the articles section theres a serving chart

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%