Darn Cake Muggles!!

Decorating By mixinvixen Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 6:31pm by ILE

mixinvixen Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 11

yesterday am, i get a pm from a family friend, requesting a cake. he and his kids attended my daughters party last week, where i had done the treasure cake. this is the reference pic he sends me for the kind of cake he is interested in purchasing.
but he says he doesn't want spiderman, he wants the character to be iron man, like this:
i sent him a pm back letting him know that it would be my minimum $75 for a 2D cake, and if that fit his budget, then to let me know...if it didn't, then no problem, maybe next time. he quickly responds back with "go for it...do you need a deposit". i put him on the books and think it's a done deal.

this morning, i check my email and there is another pm from him...saying "what about this kind of cake", with this pic attached (still wanting iron man, though:

i know that the rest of the world, who are not obsessed with sugar, does not understand the value of certain types of cake, but my goodness!! anybody looking at that would recognize that that cake is more complex/impressive than the first one..otherwise, why would he want it instead?

i emailed back with this response:
"i can do it, no problem, but the pricing is much more for a larger vertical cake that is carved and 3D with fondant...ballpark figure of at least $150, off the top of my head. those type of cakes take a lot of time to carve into the sculpture you want, and also requires much more structural support than the 2D horizontal ones. they also create much more of a labor intensive challenge to stack and cover with icing and fondant. overall, the pricing of cake designs are based on the amount of time, labor, and supplies that it takes to create the piece. i always price each design seperately, so as not to undercharge myself, and just as importantly, to not overcharge the client. just let me know which design you prefer, and i'll run with it!"

he responds with:
"First design is fine, just thought you'd be up for a challenge"

with friends like this.....well...you know the rest!

10 replies
pinklesley1 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 11

dont worry... i get that all the time.. which is why hate doing cakes for frends and family

cookieman Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 11

Sounds like he was trying to bait you with the remark" thought you'd be up for a challenge." He probably thought you'd do it at the $75 price just to show him you could make such a cake. Well, it didn't work! Good for you.

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 11

icon_biggrin.gif Sure thing! I'm always up for a challenge...for the right price!

tinygoose Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 11

I get that too.
Them: "Oh the other baker quoted me $80. So I thought you could do it for that too."
Me: "Really for a carved 3d cake?...$80?"
Them: "Oh...well, no it was for a sheet cake, they don't do 3d. I just thought it would be fun for you."

Whatever.

Eisskween Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 11

Nice "friend." Wow, you are a lot nicer than I would have been. I would have have checked my schedule and OOPS! Unforutnately, I don't have time for it.

Simply saying "No thank you, I think I will go with the first design" surely would have been sufficient.

You have to wonder if some people were raised by wolves.

Best to you and don't let the muggles bring you down! icon_biggrin.gif

OhMyGanache Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 11

I guess the challenge would be charging only $75 and staying in business.

FullHouse Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 11

Sounds like he thought he'd try the old bait and switch with you, then pull a used lemon car salesman line to get yo uto go for it. Glad you didn't. Some people!!!!!!!

cookie_fun Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 11

Nice "friend". Brush it off, you know he doesn't get it.

I am working of Spongebob and friends figures in fondant for my daughter's birthday next week. I showed them to a friend and she asked if I was making figures for everyone at the party!
They have no clue of time and energy it takes.

Wendl Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:24pm
post #10 of 11

Or like the time a friend's co-worker saw my gumbo cake and wanted one just like it that same week (I work in an office 40 hours +) and told her "I don't care what it costs! I want it!" (it's in my pictures and served about 20, and there are a lot of handmade/hand-painted bits of okra/sausage/bay leaf)
I quoted him $85 (considering I was having to change plans in order to accomplish it spur of moment and supply up) including delivering it to him.
His response? "Oh, that's too much!" I replied w/the general breakdown of 'why', just so he'd know for another time and I danged sure well was NOT going to drop my price. Hmmph! So much for "I don't care what it costs!"

Some people!
Wendl

ILE Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 11

he was just testing the water to see if you would gave in and said ok i'll do it for the same price. i'm glad you didn't people like that i don't like to make anything for them. cuz they will complain about everything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%