21St Birthday Cake Flavor Ideas

Decorating By kilikina_24 Updated 25 Jan 2009 , 10:28pm by kilikina_24

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 4

Hi! I'm hoping you wonderful people can help me. My sister is turning 21 and I have a cake design in mind but need help picking flavors. She LOVES a simple yellow cake. She's not crazy about chocolate--I know she's crazy icon_wink.gif Anyway, I'd like to put some sort of yummy filling in the cake and make it fun and special. Any ideas of something that will go with her favorite yellow cake? Thanks so much!!!

3 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 4

The great thing about vanilla (yellow) cake, is that pretty much any flavor goes well with it. Does she have a favorite fruit? You can use pretty much any jam as a filling, or to make it more like a fruit mousse, mix some of the jam into stabilized whipped cream (stir the jam up first to loosen it so that it mixes into the WC easier). You can use pie filling for cake filling, too. Fresh strawberries mixed with the red strawberry pie gel makes a yummy filling, as well. If she really just loves vanilla, a vanilla pastry cream might suit her best.

Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 4

I agree with prterrel. I did one that went with her theme of tropical - pineapple. My fav is soaking fresh cut strawberries with orange juice then layering that on top of a thin layer of filling. Its fresh, lite and colorful icon_smile.gif

Maybe a fruit or filing that matches the colors of the cake icon_wink.gif

Best wishes

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the help! I did make a smaller cake with some strawberry filling for a small family celebration. Then for the surprise party I made a two tier topsy turvy cake. The bottom tier was yellow cake with a strawberry margarita filling. The top tier was WASC with chocolare Kahlua filling (found the recipe here on CC). Both were soooo good! By the way it was my first time trying the WASC and I see why just about everyone here likes it so much--it was wonderful!!! Both cakes were so moist but not falling apart. My sister and everyone loved them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%