How Do You Smooth The Top Of A Sheet Cake?

Decorating By mcdonald Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 8:19pm by indydebi

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 6

I have always had problems smoothing the top of a sheet cake. The surface is so large that my "tools" that I use always end up with a crease or a line where I have smoothed. Do you just have to use the same pressure each "swipe" you make??

5 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 6

Get it as smooth as you can then use the melvira roller method (found in the articles on the home page). I also use the viva method with a fondant smoother after I use the roller. sugarshack also has DVD that is excellent "Perfecting the Art of Buttercream". Her website is http://www.sugaredproductions.com/buttercreamdvd.html HTH

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 6

I use a large plastic bowl scraper and go over the top very lightly to get rid of any "creases" or lines.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 6

thanks guys.. I'll give the Melvira method a try on the sheet cake. I use it on my other cakes.. don't know why I didn't think of that.. DUH!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 6

definitely do the "melvira method" you can look at my photos I get a ton of sheetcake orders and they're all VERY smooth thanks to that technique, don't know how I lived without it~!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

definitely do the "melvira method" you can look at my photos I get a ton of sheetcake orders and they're all VERY smooth thanks to that technique, don't know how I lived without it~!

Ditto!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%