Any Way To Fix Cracks In Buttercream?

Decorating By cms2 Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 3:57pm by j-pal

cms2 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 5

I have a big sheetcake that I have to deliver this afternoon. It's 18" x 24", double layer with a filling. It's looks great, minus the small stress fracture like cracks in the smooth icing. Is there any way to fix these? The cake is on 1/2" foam board and in a sturdy cardboard box. I used sugarshack's recipe with sweetex shortening and I don't have this problem on smaller cakes.

I am a little embarrassed that it's not perfect. When I look at the cake those cracks just jump out like a sore thumb. Is this something that's just unavoidable when doing such a large cake with crusting buttercream?

Thanks so much!

4 replies
something_sweet Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 5

Unfortunately these happen with large sheet cakes. I haven't found any way to fix them. The truth is that we as cake decorators see all of the little mistakes on our cakes, and most of the time the customers don't even notice. And then the cake gets cut up and eatten anyway! But with crusting buttercream... this happens.

SUELA Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 5

Hot knife over the top?

handymama Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 5

I've sometimes minimized these with piping a fine line and smoothing, but there's always the chance that it will end up looking worse and "patched". I'd leave it alone.

j-pal Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 5

The heavier the cake, the thicker the board. I was tired of the cracking, as well, and I've fixed it by going with heavier boards. If it cracks with the 1/2" foamcore, add another layer (and another few dollars to the price.) With my regulars, I put the cakes on 1/2" plywood and then have them put down a $20 deposit. If they bring it back, I give them their $20 back, if not, I go buy another piece of plywood and cut out 6-10 more boards.

before I started strengthing the boards, I had also found that if I let the cake sit overnight before boxing it, it didn't crack as much - if at all. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%