Large Air Pockets In My Wasc..... Help!

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 3:49pm by Wing-Ding

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 10

Hi ccer"s, the last time I make the WASC cake it tasted delicious but I had large air bubles in the cake . I didn't like the way it looked when it was cut and I was a little flustered and a little embarrassed, thinking" jeez this is supposed to be a {professional } cake and it looked amatureish"(sp. sorry). I have a VERY VERY important cake to deliver on Saturday, Its for a jewelry Company and could send me quite a lot of business, and I really dont want it to happen again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

9 replies
mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 10

Maybe overmixed?? that would be my guess... It also helps to sift the cake mix first. This improves the texture a lot and also helps b/c you don't have to mix as much if there's less lumps from the mix.

cathie_shinnick Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 10

Someone mentioned tapping the pan before I put it in the oven. I this also true?

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 10

Yes, I always give the pan a sharp tap on the counter before putting it into the oven. That typically takes care of any air bubbles.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 10

giving the pans a tap on the counter before baking can release some sir bubbles that may be in the batter

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 10

always sift your flour, sugar and cake mix for this recipe. Make sure not to over mix the batter or you'll add air to the it. Give the pan a few good whacks on the counter and you'll see the airbubbles rise. For the air bubbles that just won't give up I just take a clean toothpick and pop them.

cathie_shinnick Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you, thank you thank you! Off to bake!

thefrostedcakencookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thefrostedcakencookie Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 10

i agree with the tapping on the counter and popping air bubbles. and if you are using a stand mixer don't mix on high speed. it will incorporate too much air into it. i usually just mix on medium and i never get the air bubbles. hth

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:47pm
post #9 of 10

I sift all my dry ingredients together be it cake mixes, puddings, flour and sugar additions. Mix for the time stated on the recipe and stir with a spoon a few times to release large air pockets. I also always bang the pans of batter on the counter a few times to make bubbles rise. Any that don't pop I simple prick with a toothpick. I have much fewer air pockets in my cakes now. Hope this helps.
Carol

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:49pm
post #10 of 10

Yeah, I always tap my pans too before I put them in the oven. My son one time tried to spoon them out when I wasn't looking. He was trying to be helpful, but he was messy. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%