Interviewing With A Local Bakery ... What To Expect.

Business By AmandaPanda Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 2:33pm by cakesdivine

AmandaPanda Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:11am
post #1 of 3

Ok I just have a question as far as what to expect form an interview. I emailed a local bakery that is more upscale in town (still not super ritzy or anything given the area I live in though). I inquired about the possibility of working part time weekends as a decorator with them and included that I have a full time job but decorating is what I love so I would like to be able to do that part time. I also included some photos of my work. I got a call back today from the owner of the shop but I missed the call. He left a message and he sounded very interested in meeting me and looking into the possibility of allowing me to work part time. I have not spoken with him yet as when I called back he was out. BUT from the sounds of it he wants to meet with me when they get back into town in a week. So my question is, what should I bring to an interview? Should I just come empty handed (he already has all the photos of my best work through the email I sent him) or should I maybe make some fondant sculptures or gumpaste flowers to bring in with me to show what I can do? I am also clueless about pay. I know pay is very different in different areas of the country but I honestly do not want to work for minimum wage. What kind of average wages do cake decorators make?

I do not know if this will even work out given my pretty limited schedule that I will be able to work but if they only need someone for the weekend then I should be good. I am kinda excited and nervous at the same time. I work at home full time and am a full time mom and I am on the verge of becoming very depressed because I am so secluded in this tiny house of mine that I really think I NEED this job, something to get me OUT of the house into a decent work area to do what i love to do!

So what kind of questions do I ask them? should I be prepared to be able to show them something on the spot like a test of my skills or will the photos or any figures I bring in be sufficient? It has been such a long time since I have work outside my home lol, I don't even remember what it is like to work within 900 miles of my boss.

2 replies
AmandaPanda Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 3

no suggestions???

cakesdivine Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 3

When you actually speak with him and set up the in person interview he more than likely will tell you what he wants to see. You will probably be asked to ice, build, decorate a cake on site (this is what I always had to do when I interviewed with bakeries of any kind). It depends on what your area norm is for cake decorators. I know where I am the going rate for a skilled decorator starts at $12 hr. - $15 for very experienced decorators. I know of some highend shops that pay their decorators as much as $25 (but that is once they have worked for that bakery for years & years). Bakers make much less the highest I have ever known a baker to make is around $10 hr.

Quote by @%username% on %date%