Crusting Buttercream Without Crisco?

Decorating By cakebaker1978 Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 1:27am by jammjenks

cakebaker1978 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:49am
post #1 of 6

Is it poosible to get a nice crusting buttercream using all butter and no shortening(crisco)? Just wondering. I need a tasty butter cream to go under my fondant and I like a crusting butter cream so I can smooth it out perfect before I put my fondant on. Help me find the right one! Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

5 replies
mclaren Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:02am
post #2 of 6

it's possible, it's what i have been using all the time.

i use 1C butter to 2C of powdered sugar, it crusts well, just that, i kept getting feedbacks that it was too sweet for my customer's tongue.

j-pal Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:11am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren

i use 1C butter to 2C of powdered sugar, it crusts well, just that, i kept getting feedbacks that it was too sweet for my customer's tongue.

You could try replacing some of the sugar with cornstarch and/or adding some (or more) salt to your recipe.

mclaren Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:46am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren

You could try replacing some of the sugar with cornstarch and/or adding some (or more) salt to your recipe.

thanks, i haven't tried the cornstarch trick yet, but i've always used salted butter, & even added some salt to the BC, i still get more or less the same feedback.

will try adding the cornstarch, i got a tip from here, to replace 1/3C of PS with conrstarch from 2lbs PS.

jammjenks Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 6

yeah, I've never put shortening in my chocolate bc. I use 2 sticks butter, 2# powdered sugar, and at least 6 Tbs. of cocoa powder. It has a really nice fudgy taste and you can control the color/strength by putting more or less cocoa powder.

jammjenks Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:27am
post #6 of 6

My mistake. I read "crusting" as "chocolate".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%