Cake Mix + Height

Lounge By hollieivy Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 7:28pm by hollieivy

hollieivy Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:13am
post #1 of 5

When I use cake mixes the cakes tend to come out flat. Is it ok to add baking powder or something else to a cake mix to get a little more height?

4 replies
indydebi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:22am
post #2 of 5

Give us some add'l info. A flat cake is actually a GOOD thing. Most of us complain because of too much doming.

So is the problem that the cakes are flat .... or are they not rising high enough in the pan? how many cake mixes are you using in what size pans? How are you treating the pans (greased? greased and floured? baking strips?)

sarahpierce Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 5

What brand are you using? I use Wal-mart brand and I have never had a problem. Plus they are denser and cheaper. They also taste really good, everyone loves the devils food.

JanH Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 5

Hi and Welcome to CC, hollieivy. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

Everything you ever wanted to know about baking, assembling and decorating your b/c or fondant, stacked/tiered/layer cake:

If you're trying to use 1 cake mix to fill two 8 or 9" cake pans - that will only work if your cake pans are LESS than 2" tall.

If you're using decorator 2" cake pans you don't need to modify your cake mix batter - you just need MORE batter.

In the above thread is a doctored cake mix recipe (WASC) while yields a tad over 7 cups of batter (if making 1/2 recipe or 1 mix) which is enough to adequately fill 2-8" pans.

This thread also has baking help, cake, b/c and fondant recipes, decorating help and so much more. There are also links to charts which give batter requirements by pan sizes, as well as recommended baking temps. and time.

hollieivy Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 5

I am using Pillsbury...or whatever goes on sale. I'm using one cake mix for two 8" pans that are less than 2" tall and I spray them with Pam. Maybe I'm just thinking they should be taller than what they come out. Thanks for the links. I just saw that I'm in the wrong room to be asking this question! Sorry!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%