Basic Gumpaste Class

Decorating By thecakemaker Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 9:33pm by thecakemaker

thecakemaker Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:07am
post #1 of 14

What would you expect to learn in a Basic Beginners Gumpaste Class?

13 replies
bisbqueenb Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:20am
post #2 of 14

I did a one day - 4 hour class for our local 4H kids last year. We made fondant [gave them the recipe early so they could bring some], covered a round and square cake, did some cut outs for decorations, made some roses, used some molds and showed them all kinds of fun things that can be used to make things with fondant. Then they made their entries for the county fair and I just learned today 2 went on to the state level and each took a first place on their cakes! you can do a lot in a short time as long as the 'students' already have a basic cake deco. background. I tried to give them 'alternatives' to expensive fondant tools like using playdough tools and common household items to try out some of the things before having to invest in a lot of expensive toys! The parents appreciated that part! and were eager to help find alternatives they knew they had at home for the kids to use.

A 'basic' class is just introduction to what is possible with fondant. Of course...once you start learning all the fun things you can do...the more you want to learn!

thecakemaker Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:28am
post #3 of 14

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas.

What would you offer for a gumpaste class vs. a fondant class?

kakeladi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:51am
post #4 of 14

Show some of the cutters, veiners, and tools used.
Have them Roll it out thin enough & cut into petals
The 5 petal quick rose method.
How to wire petals (I probably wouldn't do this as I don't like to use wires) icon_smile.gif
Make a quick calla? (Use a heart for the petal.)

thecakemaker Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 14

TexasSugar Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 14

What age group are you doing? What other experience do they have? How long will the class be? What products do you have available to you and them? Where the classes will be held? What will they have to bring?

To me those are things to consider before I could decide on what to teach.

To me a beginners class should include alot of information as well as how to. Recipes vs premade products. What consistancy the gumpaste should be. How to fix if it is too stiff/dry/sticky. How to store it. How to roll it out and the importance of keeping it covered.

If they are going to have a cake to work with then you can show the fondant gumpaste blend and do drapes or garland. If no cakes then flowers, starting with easy ones like daisy's and calla lilies then other flowers like roses. I would go with easy flowers that can be used more often over harder flowers that use more supplies and can be frustrating to make.

If you have all sorts of things they can get easily, then I would show them. Can they buy vieners locally? If so, then show them those. What about dusts? Different cutters and molds? I would consider only doing and showing what could be found easily locally. There is nothing more frustrating learning something that you can't really go home and try out again with out having to order a bunch of stuff and wait for it to arrive.

thecakemaker Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:45pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks TexasSugar - I'm trying to talk her into a beginners or introduction to fondant AND gumpaste class. Supplies will be available at her shop but as far as veiners and cutters - I think they will be limited (on premises) to what Wilton has available.

TexasSugar Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:11pm
post #8 of 14

Ahh, well Wilton does have a Fondant and Gumpaste class that is geared toward beginners, does she offer any Wilton classes at all?

If you are just going out on your own, take inventory of what she does offer in her shop, and use that to make the class around. That way it is a win win for all. You get some money teaching, she gets money buy selling product, and the students get to learn something new. icon_smile.gif

SUELA Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:57pm
post #9 of 14

Wilton has as well a Gumpaste flowers class, but there has to be a level of comfort with fondant.

Not all stores/instructors teach it though.

thecakemaker Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:01pm
post #10 of 14

She teaches cake classes but not Wilton. She's never done a fondant or a gumpaste class but wants to offer her students a "next step".

TexasSugar Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:07pm
post #11 of 14

What type of fondant supplies does she have for sell? Is she looking for a one day class or a series of classes?

I think I'd start with a fondant class. It gets people interested in it and what all can be done. From there you can branch into fondant/gumpaste blend then into gumpaste flowers.

The package cake that Wilton has in Course 3 is a very good beginner cake in my opinion. It shows covering a cake in fondant, using cutters to cut out fondant, and also other things you can do with fondant (plus gum-tex or gumpaste) which is the bow or spirals. Another thing about the cake is that is a design that can be used many times.

You could also look through books for easy cute ideas on fondant cakes that use different techniques on it. There are also several borders you can make out of fondant, ball/pearl, rope, twisted rope, strips and so on.

Once people have the fondant basics down, then I would move into gumpaste or have a separate class for it. They handle the same, for the most part, but just have many different applications. You can teach them about doing flowers with or with out wires and other uses for gumpaste.

thecakemaker Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:21pm
post #12 of 14

You're thinking along the same lines that I am TexasSugar. That's what I recommended to you and she liked the idea.

TexasSugar Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:27pm
post #13 of 14

Good luck with them!

thecakemaker Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:33pm
post #14 of 14

Quote by @%username% on %date%