I Made My Son Cry...on His Birthday!

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 4:00am by nancyg

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:39am
post #1 of 26

Today is my son's 4th birthday, and he has been begging for a Go Diego Go cake for months, and of course I told him yes.
However we decided to do the whole birthday blow-out this weekend instead of tonight.
So while I was at Walmart getting cold medicine I decided to go ahead and grab some cupcakes (I know I know), it was already 6pm and I still had to make dinner so there was no time to whip up a cake myself.
But I still wanted him to have a little something.
When I presented him with a blue Walmart cupcake topped with 4 candles he burst into tears, he could hardly speak in between sobs,he wanted a Diego cake not a cupcake!!!
It took about 10 mins to get him calmed down, he wanted nothing to do with his gifts all he wanted was his cake!
I feel so bad, I have everything ready to start on it tomorrow, but he is still upset that he did'nt get it for his actual birthday.
So know I guess I will have to make it extra cool to make up for it.

25 replies
kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:45am
post #2 of 26

awww. sorry to hear that. did you get to tell him he was getting it on the weekend?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:47am
post #3 of 26

Oh the poor little guy! I'm sure you feel terrible right now, but when he sees the great cake you make , he'll forgive you icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:57am
post #4 of 26

worst... mother... ever...

Just kidding! Trust me, he will get over it when he sees the amazing creation you present him this weekend. When he gets a little older he will understand that 'celebrate on the weekend' thing. This little blip on the radar will take less than 2 sessions in therapy!! Hahaha!!

CakeMommyTX Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:03am
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

This little blip on the radar will take less than 2 sessions in therapy!! Hahaha!!

I know, I told my husband he can just add this to the list of things to blame on me in therapy 30 years from now.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:54am
post #6 of 26

Awwwweee...my heart broke for the little guy. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I wish I was closer. I would babysit for you so you could make it for him. icon_smile.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:25am
post #7 of 26

Awww, he'll be OK. I've been though similar with my own son (5). But, you'll make it up to him in a couple of days, and he won't even remember his cupcakes. icon_smile.gif
Although, I think it was still pretty thoughtful of you to pick him up something.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:39am
post #8 of 26

He'll be fine.

Next time try explaining it to him before so it isn't a surprise to him. He's old enough that if you tell him what's going on ahead of time he'll understand but he won't react well if you spring it on him. I've found with my own boys that telling them what's going on works best.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:41am
post #9 of 26
Quote:

worst... mother... ever...

Just kidding! Trust me, he will get over it when he sees the amazing creation you present him this weekend. When he gets a little older he will understand that 'celebrate on the weekend' thing. This little blip on the radar will take less than 2 sessions in therapy!! Hahaha!!

Melvira: I love your comments they always make me smile, but you are always right thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

yourstrulytx: I feel so bad for your son icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif , My son will kill me if I do that to him, icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif , but my little girl Naa she doesn't care she is like icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif ok!!! But don't worry he will be ok, let him know that even if you didn't make them the most important thing is that you guys are together on that special day with a delicious cupcake full of love. icon_smile.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:57am
post #10 of 26

Ok. for all of us who have run out of time and have a promise of the BEST cake EVER on the party night, here is a quickie to do in the microwave. With a bit of "special" ice cream that the b-day child has picked, it should at least calm the waters!

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
A small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug
Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.
Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high).
The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!
Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:00am
post #11 of 26

Sorry about your experience! That's why we always celebrate with the big cakes before our kids' birthdays. That way they're totally caked-out by the time their birthdays come and are happy with a candle in a piece of left-over cake thumbs_up.gif

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:09am
post #12 of 26

thank you mommyle!! You are a life saver thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
LL

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:11am
post #13 of 26

yourstrulytx ,

Every thing is going to be O.K.!

I'm sure this wasn't the first time you disappointed him and I guarantee it won't be the last. (That's from experience with my daughters-9 & 11.) icon_cry.gif
However, I'm sure he'll never forget it. When he's 90, he'll say back when I was 4 years old....

Sorry, just picking on you-as if you needed that! icon_wink.gif

Seriously. I'm sorry both of you were hurt. Obviously it was unintentional. Just hold him extra long and let him know you would never hurt him on purpose.

Toni

CakeMommyTX Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:12am
post #14 of 26

Well I had told him but I guess he just forgot or more likely just was'nt listening.

I'll have to try that cake recipe, I bet its really good at 3am when I wake up craving cake, which I do often!

Melvira Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:54pm
post #15 of 26

Man, that cake in a mug thing was so fun to make and watching it rise up over the top was awesome, but it tasted terrible! (My MIL sent it to me... anything cake related she immediately sends to me!) I don't know if it's just that my micro is super powerful so it was overcooked, or what. I have to try it again and cook it less because otherwise, that's not fair to the recipe. It smelled fantastic while cooking, that's for sure.

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:11pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:

Man, that cake in a mug thing was so fun to make and watching it rise up over the top was awesome, but it tasted terrible! (My MIL sent it to me... anything cake related she immediately sends to me!) I don't know if it's just that my micro is super powerful so it was overcooked, or what. I have to try it again and cook it less because otherwise, that's not fair to the recipe. It smelled fantastic while cooking, that's for sure.

I found the exact same thing. Smelled amazing in the kitchen, but the taste was horrible!!! I tried it twice, in case I over cooked it - but it had the same results YUCK! I should have known...if it sounds to good to be true, it must be icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:15pm
post #17 of 26

Oh man, that is a total bummer. I was hopeful that it was just overcooked that time.

momofjil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momofjil Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:46pm
post #18 of 26

I understand! My children get the short end when it comes to cakes. My daughter watches all these cakes being delivered and then.....

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:51pm
post #19 of 26

Okay... Not to be off topic here, but after reading about the mug cake, I just HAD to go and try it!... I didn't use all the oil stated in the recipe, though. I thought it was too much (just my preference) and used 1 TBS. I also cut the cooking time down to around 2-1/2 min. Mine came out tasty (chocolately, but not too sweet) icon_smile.gif , but the texture was not quite like a "cake". I couldn't figure out the wattage of my microwave, either, so I don't know if it came out right. I almost freaked out when I saw it pop out over the top!!! icon_confused.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif It was fun to do, and I'll have to try it with my niece!

Have a great day everyone!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:45pm
post #20 of 26

Aww.. it's terrible when kids cry super hard. My son is 15 months old and when I have to go somewhere he just cries his little hard out and it makes me want to stay there with him. Can't wait to see your Diego cake!

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:27am
post #21 of 26

One year when one of my boys was very young I had booked a mini trip to Texas to visit a friend, and didn't realize until later that I wouldn't be back until the day after his birthday...I know REEEALLLY bad Mommy here......so, we told him his birthday was the day I was coming home, and he was completely unaware. Of course, "I" still feel terrible about it! But, it could work in a pinch if you foresee a problem and can guarantee the other family members will go along with it!

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 8:21pm
post #22 of 26

awwwww...cant wait to see the Diego cake; hope it made your son happy happy!!!

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 8:33pm
post #23 of 26

this sounds sooo cute. could you please email the info to do this

Thanks so much
[email protected]

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 8:38pm
post #24 of 26

He will understand, you just need to explain it to him. My youngest son, now 8, most of the time gets 3 cakes for his b-day, one, the day of his party, that most of the time we plan it for the weekend next to his B-day, another one on his "real" birthday, like he says, and the third, are cupcakes on an ice cream cone that he takes to his class room, since his "real" b-day most of the time comes on or really close to the last day before Christmas break, they have a party and he ALWAYS volunteers his "ice cream cones", they love them, most of the kids lick them like if it was real ice cream, sprinkles and all. But of course, the best one is the one for his party.
Now I have to try that cake in a mug!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:57am
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCarra

Okay... Not to be off topic here, but after reading about the mug cake, I just HAD to go and try it!... I didn't use all the oil stated in the recipe, though. I thought it was too much (just my preference) and used 1 TBS. I also cut the cooking time down to around 2-1/2 min. Mine came out tasty (chocolately, but not too sweet) icon_smile.gif , but the texture was not quite like a "cake". I couldn't figure out the wattage of my microwave, either, so I don't know if it came out right. I almost freaked out when I saw it pop out over the top!!! icon_confused.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif It was fun to do, and I'll have to try it with my niece!

Have a great day everyone!

Oh, That's AWESOME!!!! I hadn't tried it yet, a friend gave it to me, so I'm glad you tweaked it!!! Now, do you think that it will do a 10" pan??? icon_cry.gif

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:00am
post #26 of 26

I am new to this, where do I go to see the picture of your mug, and where do I find directions......
Just dont get all this yet.

Help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%