How Long Does It Last?

Decorating By kandu001 Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 9:56pm by lostincake

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:23am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone! I know that this question has already been asked, but I don't have time to search for the answer right now. I'm sorry!!

Here's my question:

How long does MMF last? Mine is wrapped in plastic wrap w/crisco and then put into a ziploc bag w/ air squeezed out. It wasn't in the fridge or freezer, just on the counter. I've had it for 2 1/2 weeks. Is it still good? It will be 3 weeks by the time it gets eaten. Is that okay or should I make a new batch tonight??

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!

5 replies
scoobydid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobydid Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:33am
post #2 of 6

I have been told that this stuff lasts forever or until it's eaten. Wrapped in plastic and then put in a bag (minus the air), and you're good. I keep old balls of it in the fridge but have a friend who puts hers in the freezer. The only thing I've noticed is it does tend to get rock hard the more it ages. You can reheat in short 4-5 second intervals in the microwave, then knead. Sometimes I have had issues with fading or crumbling. At that point, I throw it out. Of course, sometimes I just can't get it out of my head that it's 'old' and I just chuck it.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:42am
post #3 of 6

I agree but I just keep mine in a cool place, not in the fridge, and usually use it up within 4-5 weeks.
I also make my husband eat a piece each time I use it as my test subject!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydid

I have been told that this stuff lasts forever or until it's eaten. Wrapped in plastic and then put in a bag (minus the air), and you're good. I keep old balls of it in the fridge but have a friend who puts hers in the freezer. The only thing I've noticed is it does tend to get rock hard the more it ages. You can reheat in short 4-5 second intervals in the microwave, then knead. Sometimes I have had issues with fading or crumbling. At that point, I throw it out. Of course, sometimes I just can't get it out of my head that it's 'old' and I just chuck it.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 6

LOL! I also make my hubby taste stuff I am not sure of! Question...with all that shortening keeping the fondant soft does'nt it make sense that it would get rancid? mimi

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 6

Good points!! Thank you so much! I was my test subject, since my hubby's at work right now and it tasted fine!

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 6

I do notice that if it's kept too long (usually after one month), it will tend to have a "stale smell" which is hard to describe but I think you'll know it when you smell it. I usually keep any extra MMF just to practice modelling & stuff or try out a new idea and I find it's generally "smell-free" for up to 4 -5 weeks. After that, I just wouldn't use it on a cake for consumption LOL. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%