Toba's Moist Yellow Cake: Can I Use Oil In Place Of Butter

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 11:03am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:56am
post #1 of 9

How will it affect the cake?

8 replies
maryj Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:04am
post #2 of 9

Have you made the cake before? I don't kow about the substitution but made as the recipe states I was less than impressed with it.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:08am
post #3 of 9

oh. okay. I haven't tried it yet.

any good yellow cake recipes? I just wanna make something that's not chocolate.

JanH Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:37am
post #4 of 9

CC member recommended cake recipes:
(There are pages of recipes collected from previous threads for all types and flavors of cake.)

JanH Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:38am
post #5 of 9

CC member recommended cake recipes:
(There are pages of recipes collected from previous threads for all types and flavors of cake.)

Also, unless the recipe specifically calls for unbleached AP flour - use bleached as it holds butter, especially, in better suspension than unbleached. (ALL cake flour is BLEACHED, but not all AP flour is.... Ceresota and Pillsbury both carry unbleached.)

Got this tip from Rose Levy Berenbaum and it's made a world of difference in my AP flour pound cake recipes!

Here's an interesting article on making your own cake flour (if you live in a part of the world that doesn't have it):

BakingJeannie Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 9

I use Toba's recipe all the time with excellent result! Following her creaming method by creaming butter first and gradually adding sugar (I use extra-fine sugar - it's a difference), however, regarding the use of oil, I have added two tablespoon of oil in my recipe with one ounce less butter. Cakes are always moist, very good crumbs, and texture.

Remember oil is 100% fat, therefore replacing your butter with oil, needs serious adjustment in the formula for that cake. When I get home I will try to work on what the formula would be. In otherwords, it's not easy to just replace butter with oil in a cake formula.

Hope this helps.

ZAKIA6 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 9

thanks for posting this question and answers.
i too have been wondering about subbing the butter for oil
i found that i am having more success with oil based cakes so i am trying to switch my butter based cakes to oil graudally (or just find new recipes)

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:29pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks BakingJeanne! I would love to find out exactly how much I could sub too. Wish I could hear from you soon but if not then I'm just gonna give this recipe a go. It's a cake for my cousin's 18th birthday on sunday. icon_smile.gif

Zakia6, i'm on the same boat! I like using oil-based recipes, too.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 11:03am
post #9 of 9

Okay i made WBH's golden butter cake with lemon SMBC and it is the best cake ever. i just loved it. everybody ate the cake, not one bite was left. I'm gonna try more WBH recipes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%