Chocopan Fondant Cracking

Decorating By Error_kitten Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 12:47am by CindiM

Error_kitten Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:47am
post #1 of 6

This is my first time posting on here, I actually just joined today and am so excited.
I just did a cake last week for my friend and I had a problem with the fondant cracking and being very difficult to work with.
I am using chocopan fondant, which I am finding while it tastes great it is much harder to work with than say wiltons or something else.

And advice on how to work with this brand better?
I live in Fla so I don't know if the humidity and weather have something to do with it.

Heres a few pics of my cake, you can see that the hipscarf folds have cracks in them.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1304381.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1304383.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1304382.html

5 replies
need2sleep Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:56am
post #2 of 6

I'm sorry I can't help you with your question, I've never worked with Chocopan. I just wanted to tell you that your cake looks cool!!

Error_kitten Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:57am
post #3 of 6

Hehehehe Thanks!
I was pretty excited about how it turned out though it wasnt as amazing as the cake I did last year for my husband.

CindiM Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:18am
post #4 of 6

Hi error_kitten
I am in SW Florida, Port Charlotte, just off the Gulf of Mexico.
When fondant is dry, add some shortening. Start with 1/2 teaspoon to a big fist size ball of chocopan and add more if you need it. Work it in until it is smooth.
Always keep your fondant sealed or at least covered. It is cold (what we call cold) in Florida and really dry right now. Also, on occasion adding coloring, gel or liquid makes fondant funky. I try to use powdered and/or gel.

Chocopan is awesome and you can do alot with it. It taste really great!
And icon_cool.gif "Welcome to Cake Central"

Error_kitten Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindiM

Hi error_kitten
I am in SW Florida, Port Charlotte, just off the Gulf of Mexico.
When fondant is dry, add some shortening. Start with 1/2 teaspoon to a big fist size ball of chocopan and add more if you need it. Work it in until it is smooth.
Always keep your fondant sealed or at least covered. It is cold (what we call cold) in Florida and really dry right now. Also, on occasion adding coloring, gel or liquid makes fondant funky. I try to use powdered and/or gel.

Chocopan is awesome and you can do alot with it. It taste really great!
And icon_cool.gif "Welcome to Cake Central"

I do use the Gels. I am very fortunate to have a great cake decorating supply store here locally.
I might need to use powders. Also what do you use to roll your fondant out with? Powdered sugar or cornstarch?

CindiM Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 12:47am
post #6 of 6

I add shortening to the fondant/chocopan and then I roll out my fondant on a silpat. It doesn't really stick to a silpat (it is a non-stick mat specially made for fondant type work). Then I cover the cake immediately.

If I have added a lot of gel coloring and it feels sticky, I dust my silpat with powdered sugar. I find cornstarch drys out fondant/chocopan way too much.

Also, I keep my shop at 72 degrees when I am covering cakes so I don't have a humidity problem.

What area of Florida are you?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%