It Has Started Already!

Business By dmich Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 1:22pm by marmalade1687

dmich Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 5

So, I'm in the process of researching insurance prices and options for my (hopefully) soon-to-be cake business. One of the agents I've been speaking with emailed me to ask if I could make a Valentine's cake for his wife. He wants "something simple, and not too expensive", but he wants flowers done in red, white, and pink. Well, let's see, if you can get me a rockin' deal on insurance, maybe we can talk. icon_smile.gif From reading all of your stories about this sort of thing, I was prepared to face it. But not so soon!

4 replies
Chef_Stef Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:28am
post #2 of 5

Tel him this:

"Thanks for your interest in having me design a cake for your wife. I would be happy to give you a quote; however, I am unable to take any new business until I'm INSURED."

dmich Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:06am
post #3 of 5

Chef Stef, I told him that I didn't think I'd have all my ducks in a row by Valentine's Day, but we could talk about his wife's birthday cake in April (which he had also mentioned in his email). I let him know that I would forward my pricing sheet to him once I had it together. I was just amazed that my first inquiry had the words "not expensive" attached to it. Ugh - is that visions of things to come?

costumeczar Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:10pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, it's a vision of things to come...I once saw someone quoted as saying that the bride's request for "simple yet elegant" was really code for "complicated but cheap." Just don't give in to it, because if you do start cutting prices to get business you'll attract the bargain shoppers and it will make it harder to get people who are willing to pay for what you're worth.

marmalade1687 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Yes, it's a vision of things to come...I once saw someone quoted as saying that the bride's request for "simple yet elegant" was really code for "complicated but cheap.

LOL!! icon_lol.gif You must know the bride that I'm working with for this weekend!! I've set down the law for the cake, but she is driving the florist to drink!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%