Kitchen Inspection

Business By sugarcheryl Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 7:09pm by yankeegal

sugarcheryl Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 8

Well guys the time has come. I just left my job as of today 2 days early and I just got a call for an appointment on Friday morn to come and inspect my kitchen. I'm excited!!!! This has been the only thing that has kept me from going to the next level. Keep me in your prayers.

7 replies
jillmakescakes Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:57am
post #2 of 8

I wish you the best of luck!! I know that it will be hard, but try to get some sleep the night before. I also recommend scheduling a massage afterwards!

Good luck, and here are some good cake vibes ~~~~~~~~ thumbs_up.gif ~~~~~

TracyLH Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:04am
post #3 of 8

Oh, I am so excited for you! Small world - I am in Fairfax County with packet in hand, figuring out all I need on my end for a kitchen inspection. I have called the Dept. of Health a few times for questions and they have always been so helpful. I wish you the very, very best!! (plus your cakes and cookies are cute too!) icon_biggrin.gif

mommarivera Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:12am
post #4 of 8

Good Luck I hope to do this one day!!!!!!

AllyCake90 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:19am
post #5 of 8

Good Luck!! I'm excited for you! icon_smile.gif
I'm a fellow Virginian!
Where did you all find the information for Health inspections in VA? I can't seem to find it despite numerous searches...

sugarcheryl Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:43am
post #6 of 8

Thanks everyone. Allycake 90 you can contact the Va Dept Agriculture and they will send you a packet of info.

TracyLH Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 8

Allycake - I am in VA (Fairfax County) also trying to get everything lined up. Here is some info that might save you some time, if you would like it:

Dept. of Agriculture: 800 552-9963 As I recall, you can ask for Dairy and Foods. Everyone I have spoken to is really nice and they will send you a handy-dandy packet that you will fill out and send back. Here in FFX county, once they receive your my packet, it is 14 21 days before the inspector will call and then they come out in the next few days.

Zoning: You will need to check zoning regulations for having a home-based business. Each county is different. Here in FFX, as long as nobody comes to the house to pick up cookies (which will be my case), there is no issue. They told me it is mainly parking they are worried about. I need to fill out a Home Occupation Permit which is free and can be done on-line. Here is the link to what the FFX county application looks like:
www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/forms/homeoccupation.pdf
application: www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/zoning/homeoccupation.htm

Following is the number for my county's zoning office. If you can't find your county's info easily, perhaps you can call them and they can direct you to yours (hey, you never know!): FFX County Zoning Office 703-222-1082. But remember that I am not having customers come here to pick up or that would be another matter and this is just how it works in FFX. I will deliver to them, but I plan to be small and mainly in the immediate area. I know in Fredericksburg it costs something like $325 - 375 for zoning if you are in a residential area and are conducting a home based business.

Business License: If you need this info, here in FFX if you plan to make less than $7,00O there is no need to get a business license. I expect to fall into that realm. Here is the number for FFX (again, maybe they can direct you to your area if you have trouble finding it): 703-222-8234

Registering a business: If you need it, here is the info on registering a business in FFX: 703-246-4100. It is $10 and here is a link to what the form looks like here in FFX: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/pdf/CCR-140.pdf

Taxes: I am still figuring out how much state and local taxes will be as that will really determine if I can do this or not. Here is a start for those, if you need them:
VA State Tax Dept. - I started here: (804) 367-8031
Here is a link to the tax form I am using to figure that out: www.tax.virginia.gov/taxforms/Business/Withholding%20Tax/2008%20Employer%20Withholding%20Instructions.pdf

Federal Tax Dept (i.e. - the IRS) - Okay, they were so nice and are really trying to help me figure this out.
IRS 800-829-4933 (or 800-tax-1040, press 3, then 2)

My concern is figuring how much taxes I will pay and if it will be worth it as my cookies are really time-intensive and potentially making $2/hour after taxes isn't too good. To figure out how much tax you would pay, ask to talk to someone in Tax Law for Self-Employment. They can also give you info about SS and Medicare payments which is covered under Self Employment Tax.

Hope this helps! It is likely more than you need, but I thought I would post it in case you or somene else could use it and, hey, I am knee-deep it in right now! Hope it helps!

Best of luck on your venture!

yankeegal Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 8

Sugarcheryl-good luck with your inspection! It will be easier than you think! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%