Have You Ever Felt Like...

Decorating By mkolmar Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 12:14am by mkolmar

mkolmar Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 6

Your going no where fast?

I'm not burned out just perhaps a tad discouraged.

I've been offered great jobs and can't move to take them.
I have people asking for wedding cakes and chocolates and can't do them because I no longer rent the licensed kitchen I was using (long story).
Finding another to rent is not easy.

I keep telling myself to stay positive. I've been using this time to practice some and try get better at cake decorating, making chocolates and gourmet pastries. I love it but feel I'm not improving fast enough.
Any tips or advice are more than welcome! I know my cakes need work.
I'm a big girl and can take it.

5 replies
aligotmatt Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 6

No real advice, just commiseration.

I worked my butt off last year, made really good money, but felt like a cake making zombie most of the year. I totally lost 2008, I missed a lot of time with my kids, I took advantage of the circus and things and as a way for my husband to take them away so I could get more work done. And that's not who I want to be as a wife or a mother. But I love to decorate, and make really good money doing it. I was offered a job with a non-profit to do fundraiser planning, it's good money, but I don't know if it's what I want to do, and I keep doing consults and planning spring weddings. The end of January is almost here, and soon enough it'll be 2010... going nowhere fast...

__Jamie__ Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 6

Yeah...your cakes and other creations are freakin beautiful! Hang in there lady. The destination is often times not as satisfactory as the journey,....or however that is supposed to go.

Another one, this one is mine. icon_wink.gif

Discipline and dedication to the task at hand does not always need an element of fun to be enjoyable.

Don't know if that makes sense to you, or if it is appropriate...but I have remind myself of that when stuck in what seem to be at the moment, mundane or unfulfilling jobs.

joy5678 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 6

I feel your pain! I got back into cakes after being away for about 10 years. After a year of cakes, I am beginning to remember why I quit last time. I luv decorating but have not ever been able to make enough money to really justify the time and effort, not to mention the expense in getting "legal". Recently returned to an outside job & my energy is gone by the time I get home to the point that I don't want to do anything. I am questioning myself, abilities and limits alot lately. What am I going to do?? Take one day at a time & one cake at a time until "know" for sure the answer. You will figure it out also and I wish you the best.

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 6

No words of wisdom here, but I just wanted to say your cakes are great. I'm a relative newbie and as such don't feel that I can really offer advice or say too much about someone's work. I can, however, appreciate talent and you are talented. Just keep on keeping on. That's all I can tell you!

thumbs_up.gif Lisa

mkolmar Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:14am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone. I guess I just needed my thought actually understood by others since my family just doesn't get it. I love the culinary/pastry field and feel like a piece of me is missing when I'm not creating. However, I have 4 small kids and they need me right now. aligotmatt: it's hard when you are torn between family and your field. I hope things calm down for you some.

Your right that the journey may be difficult but still can be enjoyable. I need to try to remember that. I do enjoy the journey no matter how difficult it is.

Thanks for the boost about my cakes. That means a lot coming from you all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%