Please Help With Pricing A Wedding Cake!

Decorating By SimplySensational Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 1:21am by kakeladi

SimplySensational Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 4

Help Please!!! I need to price a wedding cake and dont know where to start. Here is what the bride wants:
3 tier
Chocolate Cake with chocolate mousse filling
White buttercream frosting with lavender buttercream roses.
50 Servings
I live in the Portland, Oregon metro area which is good size so I dont want to sell myself short however I dont want to over price since I am not a professional its just a hobby for me right now.
I appreciate any input that the CCers out there can give me!!!!

3 replies
lindambc Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 4

A 3 tier cake is going to give you way more servings then needed. What size cake pans are you using? You want to charge per serving. I used to live outside Portland and wedding cakes get pretty pricey. I would call around and price compare.

Where I live in So. Cal, I charge $3-$4.50 per serving depending on what they want. I do it as a hobby also, so I don't charge like bakeries do.

Let the bride know that 3 tiers will give her way more servings then she wants and that you charge by serving. Do you have to deliver it and set it up. I don't charge if the destination is close to home but traveling where you are isn't easy at times.

Hope this helps. If you have an other questions, you are more then welcome to PM me.

sarahnichole975 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 4

Well you could do a 10/8/6 stack and it would be about perfect, especially if she saves the top tier. I call that cake about 60 servings and about 50 saving the top. Do a minimum of $3.25/serving, which at 60 servings is $195.

kakeladi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:21am
post #4 of 4

....... Do a minimum of $3.25/serving, which at 60 servings is $195..........

I agree with this^^^^^^

Quote by @%username% on %date%