Anyone Ever Have This Procedure Done?

Lounge By sueco Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 9:06pm by sueco

sueco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sueco Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 13

I am scheduled to have an Endometrial Ablation done next week and was wondering if anyone out there has ever had the procedure, and if so, how was it with regards to discomfort, healing time, etc.? Also, how successful was the outcome? Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me their opinion and any information that you think I should know. (My doctor and I discussed it, but I sincerely doubt that HE's ever had one, so wouldn't know what it feels like or does to your body.)
Sueco

12 replies
LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 13

I had it done when I was going through fertility treatments. For me, it was slightly uncomfortable, but not as bad as I thought it would be. Are you having it done to increase fertility or for other reasons?

sueco Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 13

Lisa-
I sent you a PM.

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:16am
post #4 of 13

Yes, I had this done 14 mos. ago. It's the best thing I'd ever done for myself! I used to bleed to death. Now.....nothing. One male doctor talked me out of it once, and shame on him! I was tortured for another full year before I insisted on changing opinions and getting a female doctor. I only needed 1.5 to 2 days to recover. Don't be a hero and take the pain meds. they'll give you. I got my life back! Now I can travel and go on vacations, and not be so embarrassed by accidents, etc. Regarding the other person's posts, I would NOT have this for helping with fertility issues, that's the opposite reason to have it! You should know that you are not planning on any more children also. There is an entire website you can read: www.novasure.com
Cheers. Good luck!

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:24am
post #5 of 13

I absolutely agree with neecerator. You should only consider having this procedure done if you are absolutely sure that you no longer want to have more children. It basically destroys the entire lining of the endometrium. I have heard great results from the Novasure method. Depending on the severity of your situation, it could make an incredible difference in your life.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:50am
post #6 of 13

I had the Novasure procedure 2 years ago and haven't had a period since. Yippy! There was some cramping (comparable to contractions) but only needed to take the pain meds for one day, then no more. There was some bleeding for a couple of weeks after but that eventually went away and never again. My doctor said he has had about an 85% success rate....meaning no more periods. I LOVE that man.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 1:58am
post #7 of 13

Are you doing this for fibroids? Last night at girls' night, a neighbor was telling me how another neighbor had this done b/c of fibroids, it didn't help and she decided to have a hysterectomy. It concerned me b/c I have huge fibroids that have caused MC and horrible periods. Just curious.

sueco Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:00am
post #8 of 13

Well, I had the procedure on the 27th, so it's been just over a week. I see my doctor on the 11th for a follow-up visit. But so far, everything has been good. Haven't needed to take any pain medication at all, not even a Tylenol, which is great! (And the nice nap I got while I was under anesthesia was very refreshing). I'm hoping that it is a success because I don't think I could go through what I went through before. And I was starting to get a little anemic. Thanks to all who responded to my original post, your comments were very reassuring.

tjrobin31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjrobin31 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:31am
post #9 of 13

my mom recently had this operation done, her pain after the operation was minimal , unfurtunately for her the operation didn't work, her doctor told her before hand that this could happen for some people it works wonders, and for others it doesn't.

mis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mis Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:06pm
post #10 of 13

I had it done. But mine didn't help me, I decided to have a hysterectomy about 2 years later. I hope you are feeling better and you have a good outcome.

sueco Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:27pm
post #11 of 13

Thank you mis, I hope I have a good outcome, too, and won't have to have a hysterectomy down the road. If you don't mind me asking could you tell me how old you were when you had it done? I wonder if age can play a part or if it's strictly just an individual thing - working for some but not others. I turned 47 in October.

tjrobin31: I'm sorry that it didn't work for your mom. Could I ask you the same question - how old was your mother when she had it done?

Hopefully this is not just a honeymoon period (no pun intended) for me and my body, and it will be successful over the long haul.

mis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mis Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:35pm
post #12 of 13

No I don't mind you asking sueco, I was let me think now, I am 32 right now will be 33 next month so I would of been 30. I had my hysterectomy last summer. I couldn't be happy about it either. I was done having kids, I have 2. I actually can live my life now and not be house bound for a few days.

sueco Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:06pm
post #13 of 13

Wow! So young to have to get a hysterectomy. Isn't it fun being a woman? Wish all we had to do was turn and cough like the guys.
Yeah, I was thinking about having the doctor get out the old ShopVac and just go to town icon_surprised.gif , but if this works out I'll be happy. Now if I could only do something about what I like to call "my own private summers". icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%