Business By Bonniecakes08 Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 7:06am by jules06

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:19am
post #31 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjade

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Getting on the "wouldn't touch it' bandwagon.

btw, I use mixes for cakes and they hold up just fine under fondant. I have my top tier from my birthday cake sitting on my counter right now ... it's 7 days old and still looks/tastes great.

Really??? I find my box mixes SO crumbly, I just assumed it would crash with the weight of the fondant on it plus stacked... if it holds up, why do people add pudding mix & stuff (this is an honest question, I'm a total newbie to caking!)...

First, there is not such thing as "the weight of the stacked" cakes because the upper tiers are not being supported by the cake ... they are being supported by the dowels, the straws, the SPS system, whatever support system you are using.

I use Choco-Pan which can be rolled out really thin. The reason I steered way from fondant for so long is because I don't like the look of thick fondant on a cake. I've not done many fondant cakes, but the ones I have done have held up just fine with mix cakes.

Pudding, dream whip, extra eggs, sour cream, etc are added to cake mixes to enhance flavors, not just to 'firm up' the cake.

I use Betty Crocker mixes and I've not had a crumbly issue with them. Sifting your cake mixes also helps the texture (boy, what a difference that makes! I couldn't BELIEVE how much better the cakes turn out when I started doing this a couple of years ago! Give it a try!)

scrapperjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapperjade Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:25am
post #32 of 47

Thanks Debi! I will try sifting my mix together next time!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:30am
post #33 of 47

Scrapperjade, I hope I didn't sound snarky. I didn't mean to. I just think a lot of people overbake box cake mixes. I know I used to bake them until the cake sprang back like a sponge. You could've bounced a dime off my cakes!! And the lack of moisture reflected that. I've learned that you often don't have to bake them as long as the box says. : )

Debi, I'm so lazy! I HATE sifting!! Now, I guess I'll have to start doing it. I guess if you're going to do it at all, you might as well take the time to do it right, huh?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:31am
post #34 of 47

Ruth, when I'm doing a lot of mixes (like 7 or 8 in a batch), sometimes it takes 20-30 minutes to do the sifting, but I'm tellin' ya, it is SO worth it!!! I use a big mesh strainer, and once I get the rhythm down pat, it goes pretty smooth.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:36am
post #35 of 47

Well, since I just read one of your posts to my husband and told him "It has to be true because Indydebi knows these things, honey", I'm going to give it a try on my next cake!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:50am
post #36 of 47

This thread should be a cautionary tale to anyone considering decorating another person's cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-119551.html

Never, never, never. In fact, this experience is what led me to create my How to Prevent Bulging tutorial, because all I could think afterward was, "how could I have prevented this mess?"

There is SO MUCH MORE to making a beautiful cake than just the "decorating" of it!!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:58am
post #37 of 47

GOOD EXAMPLE KELLY!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:13am
post #38 of 47

Indydebi, the "standing up" bit was more just tounge-in-cheek. I do half scratch and half doctored boxes. Both will "stand up" under fondant quite well, but if this lady doesn't know a thing about decorating, and is asking you to do it, then you could probably tell her that her cake totally fell apart with the fondant on it and you had to use your own, as a way of just simply throwing hers out and not being held responsible for what could quite possibly be an inferior cake. And please note that I said that I'd charge $350 to cover "her" cakes!!!

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:16pm
post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjade

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Getting on the "wouldn't touch it' bandwagon.

btw, I use mixes for cakes and they hold up just fine under fondant. I have my top tier from my birthday cake sitting on my counter right now ... it's 7 days old and still looks/tastes great.

Really??? I find my box mixes SO crumbly, I just assumed it would crash with the weight of the fondant on it plus stacked... if it holds up, why do people add pudding mix & stuff (this is an honest question, I'm a total newbie to caking!)...

Stacking shouldn't be adding any weight to the bottom tier..

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:18pm
post #40 of 47

I should have read to the end first, lol

coopette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coopette Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:52pm
post #41 of 47

I myself would send the woman to Wal-Mart to buy her own fondant. I would tell her that's how she'll learn the ups & downs of decorationg a cake . Suggest she start asap, (so she gets out of your hair icon_smile.gif) & she'll get the hang of it somewhat before her cake is due.

scrapperjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapperjade Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm
post #42 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Scrapperjade, I hope I didn't sound snarky. I didn't mean to. I just think a lot of people overbake box cake mixes. I know I used to bake them until the cake sprang back like a sponge. You could've bounced a dime off my cakes!! And the lack of moisture reflected that. I've learned that you often don't have to bake them as long as the box says. : )

Debi, I'm so lazy! I HATE sifting!! Now, I guess I'll have to start doing it. I guess if you're going to do it at all, you might as well take the time to do it right, huh?

Oh gosh, Ruth! I didn't think you were snarky at all!! Please don't apologize! icon_smile.gif I have never made a box mix for a decorated cake, so I never worry about timing them really well. Just throw it on in for as long as the box says, lol! Could be why its crumbly hey, haha!

If I ever use a mix to make a fondant cake, I'll be sure to bake it not quite as long! Thanks for the tip!! icon_smile.gif

tatania199 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatania199 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:37pm
post #43 of 47

I did it once.

A friend who is a chef wanted to do his own wedding cake. I offered my help right off the bat, but it was important to him and I think he just didn't understand how much there is to do to prepare for a wedding.

Of course, two days before the wedding, he was frantic. He didn't have time to do it, his specialty was not cakes (or even desert in general) and nothing was going right.

So, I wound up finishing it. His cake was dry and not perfectly level. Also, he torted it and used a buttercream I wouldn't have and the torting weakened an already weak cake, So, the corners and sides crumbled and it wasn't super looking t begin with. It couldn't hold the weight of fondant very well and, of course, was square which only emphasized how uneven it was. He'd also already dowelled it.

Anyway, he knew it wasn't a good set up so they understood that it wouldn't be perfect. I think they just wanted a cake by that point.

So, I finished it. And no, it was not great. I didn't have time to polish it the way I would have liked and it just wasn't strong enough to be stable and solid.

And that was a cake done by a professional chef.

But they were thrilled!

So, I highly, highly do not recommend it!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:53pm
post #44 of 47

point her in the direction of a wilton cake class!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:42pm
post #45 of 47

Tatania, that was a great save!

Bonniecakes08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonniecakes08 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 2:05am
post #46 of 47

Well, I thought you all would be interested to know that I told her NO WAY, but thanks for thinking of me. I enjoyed reading all your responses! Thanks, I'm glad you all agreed with me!

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:06am
post #47 of 47

Fruit cakes are obviously a different matter, because I have no problem covering & decorating someone elses' cake - if there are holes, I pack them. If it's not level, I level it....I haven't had to do any other types of cake though icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%