How Far In Advance Can

Decorating By CNCS Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 12:44pm by 4kids

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 6

fondant embelishments be made? Like tiny flowers, hearts, leaves and tiny roses? I'll need them Valentines day for a shower cake.
will the colors fade?

5 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 6

Hi, I haven't made any decorations with fondant alone. I always add CMC powder to fondant. If you are making the decorations with that, you can make them at least a week before. And make sure you put them in an airtight box and store away from direct sunlight.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:47am
post #3 of 6

what about gumpaste?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:57am
post #4 of 6

You can use straight fondant for small items and you can do them now if you want. If they don't need to bend (like over the top edge, around a round side etc). To keep them somewhat pliable, put them into a tubberwear-type container & fz them.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:33am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNCS

what about gumpaste?

You can use gumpaste. And the other thing you can do is mix 50/50 store bought gumpaste and fondant. That is also really good, and lot of members use that as well.

4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4kids Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 6

I freeze mine. I usually make them about a week in advance and put them in tupperware. If you need them to bend around the sides of the cake, then the gumpaste and fondant mixture is better. At least, that's what I've found.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%